Say hello to your new favorite holiday appetizer: Jalapeño Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread! Yummy and delicious!
Oh, hey there stranger! Did you think I went into a turkey coma and never came out? Actually, the mister and I took a much needed vacation to the Pacific Northwest. We did hiking, visited friends and family, and consumed beer and food. Lots and lots of good beer and food.
I have to admit, while checking Instagram and Facebook randomly on vacation, I was a teeny tiny bit jealous of all of the Christmas decorating and baking going on. And the snow (I know, who am I?!). Don’t worry – I’ve been back in Minnesota for less than 24 hours and I’ve already gone on a snowy run, baked Christmas cookies, and decorated our apartment. Laundry can wait. Priorities.
Cream Cheese Extravaganza
I also decided that the time was right to share with you one of my absolute favorite holiday appetizers that is always, always, always at my family’s Christmas. Except I changed a few things. First, the name. When I asked my mom for the recipe a few years ago, I found out the name of it was actually “Cream Cheese Extravaganza.” Hmmmm…it makes it sound intriguing but appetizing? Not so sure about that.
I also jazzed up the cranberry sauce by adding some jalapenos and orange juice and zest to it. Lastly, I nixed the raw egg that was originally added to the cream cheese mixture. I’m sure it would be okay if you used organic eggs but the last thing I needed on Thanksgiving was a house full of sick guests. And the last thing I need now is a bunch of sick and ticked off readers. So no raw egg. Just cream cheese, butter, and green onions and it still turned out.
Jalapeño Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread
The addition of the jalapeno to the cranberry sauce wasn’t too overpowering. It was just enough that everyone could tell there was a bit of spice to it. You could make it spicier by keeping the seeds, but I’m not a fan of spice so I de-seeded my jalapenos first. I served it with Townhouse crackers and Wheat Thins and both were great scoopers for the dip. I made this for Thanksgiving for Marc’s family. Cnsidering it was long gone before dinner was served, I think it’s safe to say it can become a tradition on both sides of my family now.
- 12 oz fresh cranberries rinsed
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp lime juice
for the cream cheese:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup green onions diced (this is 4 tbsp total)
- In saucepan, combine cranberries, jalapenos, orange juice, orange zest, sugar, water, and lime juice.
- Cook over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries burst and it starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely. It will thicken up more once it cools.
To make the cream cheese spread:
- Combine cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl and beat with electric mixer.
- Fold in 3 tablespoons of the green onions.
- Spread cream cheese spread evenly over platter.
- Top with cooled cranberry sauce.
- Sprinkle with additional 1 tablespoon of green onions.
- Serve with crackers. Enjoy!
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or the image below to pin this Jalapeño Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread recipe for later!
Love cranberry? Here is some more cranberry love for you: