These Italian Beef Sandwiches may not look like much, but they are my definition of slow cooker comfort food at its finest!
Can I just throw it out there that perfectly styled food is not my thing? I mean sure, I love looking at blogs with food photos in which every sprout and sprinkle is in it’s *perfect* little place, there are herbs sprinkled around *perfectly*, and there’s a swirl of peanut butter just *perfectly* through the brownie. But let’s be real – it’s not REAL.
Like, say, when I get home from work and am trying to juggle finishing up dinner, prepping a photoshoot of that dinner before it gets dark, and a clingy toddler who hasn’t seen his mama all day. Perfect looking food just ain’t gonna happen.
Honestly, sometimes food just isn’t made to look perfect. Like with these Italian Beef Sandwiches I say, the messier the better. The more scrunched in the foil they get while they’re baking to get all that cheese melted into the meat, the better.
Now that school is about to start up, I’m sure lots of you could use some super quick and family friendly meals, am I right? Actually, I’m pretty sure anyone and everyone could use some quick and easy meal ideas.
While I love using my slow cooker for soups and stews, my favorite is for hunks of meat that are so tender they shred apart with a fork, and that is exactly what this Italian Beef is. Along with the beef I added an onion and a couple of bell peppers and seasoned it with some Italian seasoning along with dry Italian dressing mix. Simple, and delicious.
After the meat is cooked and shredded, it all gets piled on the buns with the onions and peppers, topped with pickled veggies and cheese, wrapped up in foil and baked until all cheesy and delicious. While in the past I’ve made these with provolone cheese, this time I used GO VEGGIE Pepper Jack Slices for more of a kick of flavor.
So while maybe these aren’t going to win any awards for being the most attractive or best dressed, they definitely get points in my book for being delicious cheesy, beefy comfort food.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by my favorite every day cheese, GO VEGGIE.
Italian Beef SandwichesPrint Rate
- 3-4 lb beef roast
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 green bell peppers sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 .6 ounce packet dry Italian dressing mix
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- GO VEGGIE Pepper Jack Slices
- Buns - hoagie or sandwich buns both work
- Pepperoncinis or pickled veggies
- Place roast, onions, and bell peppers in slow cooker.
- Season with Italian seasoning and Italian dressing mix and top with beef broth.
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove meat from juices and shred in a large bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove peppers and onions from juices and combine with shredded meat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pile meat and pepper mixture on bun and top with Pepper Jack slices and pepperoncinis or pickled veggies, and top with remaining bun half.
- Wrap in foil and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melty.
- Serve and enjoy!