Instant Pot Tomatillo Chicken Chili is a healthy but filling recipe for chicken chili filled with flavor from Lunds & Bylerly’s Tomatillo Verde Sauce Deli Cup or diced green chiles!
A chill in the air and sweaters appearing in my closet again signal one thing – it’s soup season! I love pretty much any and every soup, stew, and chili, and it gets bonus points if it’s filling but still healthy. That’s exactly what this Instant Pot Tomatillo Chicken Chili is!
This Instant Pot Tomatillo Chicken Chili checks all the boxes for me. It’s easy to make, full of flavor, and comforting yet lighter and healthy!
Ingredients in Tomatillo Chicken Chili
This chili starts with onion, garlic, a few cans of beans, chili powder, and cumin. It also has a Tomatillo Verde Sauce Deli Cup, which is a specialty ingredient from my favorite local grocery store, Lunds and Byerly’s. If you don’t live in the Twin Cities area, you can substitute 8 ounces of diced green chilis and it will do the trick!
Then the chili is topped off in the Instant Pot with chicken broth and a couple of chicken breasts. It is cooked in the Instant Pot in a quick 15 minutes and after shredding the chicken, it’s chili time!
This tomatillo chicken chili can be served with cornbread or tortilla chips, and topped with your favorite chili toppings. I opted for a simple topping of chopped fresh cilantro and jalapeno peppers, but shredded cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and chopped green onions would also be great.
Like this recipe? Check these out too!
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Lunds & Byerlys Tomatillo Verde Sauce Deli Cup (or 8 ounces diced green chiles)
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can Northern beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can Pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- fresh cilantro chopped
- Turn Instant Pot onto brown/saute setting.
- Add olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add diced onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add Lunds and Byerlys Tomatillo Verde Sauce Deli Cup/green chiles, cannellini beans, Northern beans, Pinto beans, chili powder, cumn, salt, chicken, and chicken broth, and stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close steam valve
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then release completely
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks, and return to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro. Other topping suggestions: jalapeno, shredded cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt, chopped green onion
- Serve and enjoy!