Weeknight dinner has never been so easy and delicious with this creamy and flavorful Instant Pot Sausage and Rigatoni!
Some nights we just need a big cheesy pasta hug, am I right? I love my veggie rice buddha bowls that are super nourishing, but sometimes I want something that is so comforting I need a nap immediately after consuming.
Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni is that hug we all need sometimes! Better yet, it’s ready for us in less than 30 minutes. That’s what I call a comfort food WIN.
Using the Instant Pot to make this sausage rigatoni feels like cheating, but you won’t even care because the end result is so delicious. And don’t worry – the pasta isn’t mushy! It comes out perfectly and deliciously in just 6 minutes of cooking.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni
Mild Italian sausage (or hot if you’re feeling spicy!)
How to Make Sausage Rigatoni in the Instant Pot
You’ll start by browning the sausage, followed by the onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Once that step is done, you simply add the marinara sauce and water, give it a bit of a stir, and then top with the rigatoni.
Resist the urge to stir it all together! Believe me, I know this is hard. The urge to stir is real. But trust me, and just press the rigatoni down into the liquid so it’s completely covered. This prevents a “BURN” message from popping up while the pressure cooking is happening.
After a quick 6 minutes of cooking on HIGH manual pressure, do a quick release of pressure. I always cover mine with a kitchen towel and slowly tap the pressure valve with a wooden spatula to prevent the steam from going directly to the ceiling and so I don’t get burned from the steam.
Lastly, you’ll stir in the cream, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. I told ya – it’s CHEESY!
It’s no surprise this dinner was a huge hit with everyone in my family. Our boys love pasta, and they loved this rigatoni!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too:
Instant Pot Pasta Carbonara from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 3 cups water
- 16 ounces rigatoni
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, for topping
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the "brown/saute" function.
- Add the sausage, breaking it up with a spatula into small pieces as it cooks, and cook until browned.
- Add the olive oil add the onion. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and cook one more minute.
- Add the marinara and water, stirring to combine.
- Add the rigatoni but don't stir - just press the rigatoni pasta down to submerge it in the water. This prevents any burn notice from happening.
- Cover the Instant Pot, seal the vent, and cook on HIGH manual pressure for 6 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure.
- Stir in the heavy cream, mozzarella, and Parmesan until well combined.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley. Enjoy!