The easiest and fastest way to cook corned beef – in the Instant Pot! A perfect classic recipe for St. Patrick’s Day.
Has social distancing canceled your St. Patrick’s Day plans? Don’t worry – I’ve got your back with the easiest and most delicious recipe for Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage! This recipe seriously could not be easier and I promise, you’ll think you are in an Irish pub enjoying your favorite Irish meal.
Making corned beef and cabbage really is very simple and requires just a few ingredients. This time of year, it’s easy to find corned beef at the grocery store (well, most grocery stores if it hasn’t sold out), which is salt-cured beef brisket that comes with pickling spices.
Along with the corned beef, you’ll simply need beef broth, onion, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. You might notice I used baby carrots in this recipe. Honestly, this wasn’t on purpose. I thought we had regular carrots in our refrigerator when I was grocery shopping after we came home from our Florida trip. Turns out, we didn’t. Baby carrots were an easy stand-in but I’d definitely recommend regular carrots instead!
How to Make Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
To make this corned beef and cabbage in the Instant Pot, you’ll start by placing the sliced onion on the bottom of the Instant Pot. Then you’ll place the corned beef on top of the onion, add some beef broth, and then sprinkle the corned beef with the pickling spices that are included with the corned beef.
The corned beef gets cooked on high pressure for 85 minutes. Note – the vegetables are not included at this point! If the vegetables were cooked for 85 minutes they’d be pure mush.
The vegetables get added after the corned beef is cooked, and need just 3 minutes of high pressure and a quick release of pressure.
Looking for other St. Patrick’s Day recipes? Check these out, too!
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 2.5 lbs corned beef
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups baby carrots or 3 large carrots, cut into big chunks
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, halved
- 1 head cabbage halved, core removed and each half cut into 4-5 wedges
- fresh parsley, chopped, for serving
- Place the sliced onion on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the brisket on top of the sliced onion.
- Add beef broth to the Instant Pot, then sprinkle the beef with pickling spices that are included with the corned beef.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 85 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure once cooking is finished.
- Remove the corned beef from the Instant Pot, along with ~1 cup of the liquid, and cover the corned beef with foil to keep warm.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage, and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure.
- Slice the corned beef against the grain and serve with the vegetables, sprinkled with parsley. Enjoy!