Indian Curry Vegetable Rice Bowls with Curry Yogurt Sauce are curry roasted vegetables with coconut rice and a curry spiced yogurt sauce!
If I’m ever in doubt of what to make for dinner, I make a bowl. I’ll take whatever veggies we have in the fridge and cook up some rice, quinoa, lentils or some kind of grain. If we have meat in the fridge or freezer I’ll sometimes add chicken, fish, or beef but bowls definitely don’t need meat. The veggies and grains are usually the stars in my bowls.
Wait, I take that back. The SAUCE is ALWAYS the star in my bowls. In my book (of bowls), if there isn’t sauce, it’s not much of a bowl. It’s what ties everything together and give the bowl that craveable factor. Sometimes the sauce for me is just some Sriracha mixed with plain yogurt and lime juice. Simple and delicious.
Other times, such as in my recipe for Shrimp Burrito Bowls, I make my special creamy cilantro sauce which, after dousing our bowls with it, I proceed to put it on my eggs every day until it’s gone. I’m just kinda weird like that.
Today I’m sharing a recipe with you for Indian Curry Vegetable Rice Bowls with Curry Yogurt Sauce and I’m insisting (maybe even begging) that you make this sauce! It’s insane! Better yet – it’s insanely easy. Just five simple ingredients – plain yogurt, curry powder, garlic powder, lime juice, and a spoonful of mayonnaise. So simple, yet so delicious.
The other parts of these bowls are just as crave worthy as the sauce. You’ll want to start by prepping the vegetables. I used a combination of cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potatoes and red onion, but you can get creative here.
I think brussels sprouts, red bell pepper, and butternut squash would be awesome, too! Or maybe green beans and zucchini during the summer? I like it! The veggies get tossed in a combination of olive oil, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, and salt and then put in the oven for roasted perfection.
While the veggies are roasting for these Indian Curry Vegetable Rice Bowls with Curry Yogurt Sauce, you can make the coconut rice. If you’ve never made coconut rice, you’re about to be blown away. After making it for the first time, I wondered why I ever made non-coconut rice for Thai and Indian dishes.
Once everything is ready to go, all there is left to do is assemble. Rice on the bottom, veggies on top, and a big dollop or drizzle of the curry sauce to pull it all together.
These Indian Curry Vegetable Rice Bowls with Curry Yogurt Sauce are definitely going on a regular rotation in our household. Even my little guys gobbled up it up!
For the curry roasted vegetables:
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small head of broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the coconut rice:
- 1 ½ cups white jasmine rice
- 1 14 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the curry yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
Roast the veggies:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prep two large baking sheets. I like to line mine with aluminum foil to make cleanup easier.
- In a large bowl, combine vegetables, olive oil, curry powder, turmeric powder, garlic, and salt. Toss well to combine.
- Evenly distribute vegetables between the two baking sheets.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, stirring them and rotating the pans after 20 minutes.
Make the coconut rice:
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the coconut rice.
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water, and salt in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover.
- Cook 18-20 minutes, until rice is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
Make the yogurt sauce:
- To make the curry yogurt sauce, combine all curry yogurt sauce ingredients and stir well.
- To serve, ladle rice into each bowl or place and top with curried vegetables. Drizzle with curry yogurt sauce. Enjoy!