Huevos Rancheros has always been one of those dishes that I automatically order if we are out at a restaurant for breakfast or brunch and see it on the menu. However, I have never attempted to make at home. It has always seemed like a dish that would just be better if someone else cooked it. Until now!
After a few attempts at making the perfect huevos rancheros – I have finally found it! While I first attempted a couple of recipes that were pretty basic, with just black beans and salsa, I found what makes a huevos ranchero recipe go from good to Instagram-worthy – homemade ranchero sauce and fresh mango salsa!
Ranchero sauce is a simple combination of onion, garlic, tomato sauce, green chiles, roasted red peppers, and some spices cooked and pureed into a sauce. It is so full of flavor and adds so much to this dish. It’s not only delicious on huevos rancheros but is also great on chicken, steak, and drizzled on grain bowls.
The addition of mango salsa adds freshness and a hint of sweetness to the dish that complements the fried tortilla and egg perfectly.
I will say – this recipe involves a bit of prep work for the ranchero sauce and mango salsa. My recommendation to make this a hassle-free breakfast is to prep both of these ahead of time, or at the very least the ranchero sauce. Then you don’t have to bother with it in the morning which means more time for coffee drinking and huevos rancheros eating.
You definitely want to fry the tortillas the morning of because freshly fried tortillas are just the best. Plus, you use the same skillet for the tortillas as you do for the eggs so it’s really not a huge amount of prep or dirtying any extra pans.
This recipe is perfect for slow weekend mornings when you want a filling protein-packed breakfast that’s as good as you would get at a restaurant!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Potato Huevos Rancheros from Neighbor Food Blog
Corned Beef Hash Huevos Rancheros from Goldilocks Kitchen
For the ranchero sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers drained from liquid
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream or milk
For the mango salsa:
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Juice from ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-8 flour tortillas
- 4-8 eggs
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado sliced
- Feta or cotija cheese for topping
To make the ranchero sauce:
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced red onion and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook one minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, roasted red peppers, green chiles, cumin, and salt, and stir well to combine.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is slightly simmering.
- Add the milk and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree. Set aside.
To make the mango salsa:
- In a medium bowl, combine the mango, tomato, red onion, cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Set aside.
Next, you’ll want to fry the tortillas and eggs.
- In a large skillet, add the canola oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is very hot, add the tortillas, frying for about 30 seconds on each side. Set aside.
- In the same skillet with hot oil, fry the eggs or cook them according to your liking.
- To assemble, place one tortilla on a plate and spread with about ¼ cup of ranchero sauce. Top with black beans, a fried egg, mango salsa, avocado, and cheese. Serve and enjoy!