As far as blogging goes, I’m not very consistent at planning posts, cooking and baking for holidays in advance, or marketing myself. I’m working on it but (in my whiny voice) it’s hard! And time consuming. However, proud blogger moment coming in 3…2…1…: I saw these multi-colored carrots at Trader Joe’s and thought: I MUST buy these because they are so pretty! They would make beautiful pictures for the blog.
The thing is, I don’t cook a lot with carrots. I’m not sure why not because they’re so versatile. You can throw ’em in anything: soups, stir fries, casseroles, salads, eat ’em plain. My favorite way to eat carrots is to roast them. This is pretty much my philosophy for all vegetables, and carrots are no exception. Not only does the process of roasting bring out so much of their flavor, but it’s so stinkin’ easy!
This roasted carrot side dish is perfect for an easy weeknight meal but I think it’s also elegant enough for a dinner party. I just loved how the honey caramelized during the roasting process and gave the carrots a bit of sweetness to balance out the kosher salt. I also really loved the fresh rosemary but if you’re not a fan of rosemary, fresh thyme would work well too.
If you can’t find multi-colored carrots, it’s obviously not a big deal, just pleeeeeease don’t use baby carrots. Normal carrots have much more flavor and will work a lot better in this recipe. Along with roasted chicken (recipe coming soon!) this was a healthy and delicious weeknight dinner.
honey & rosemary roasted carrots
- 2 lbs carrots each carrot cut in half, then sliced long ways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine chopped carrots, olive oil, honey, and rosemary.
- Stir well to combine. I did this with my hands, as it was easier to get the thick honey evenly distributed.
- Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil, or just a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle carrots with kosher salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, turn the carrots, and bake for 15-20 minutes more, until well done. Serve immediately.