No holiday party is complete without a cheese ball! This Holiday Cranberry Pecan Cheeseball is filled with caramelized onions and topped with festive cranberries and rosemary!
A few days ago, I did an Instagram story poll asking whether my Instagram followers wanted to see a holiday cheese ball recipe on Friday or gingerbread muffins. It was a super close call – 51% to 49%, but the Holiday Cranberry Pecan Cheese Ball won!
While those muffins are super tasty and I’m excited to share them with you (next week!), I’m glad the cheese ball won! I bet some of you have holiday parties to go to this weekend, or are planning for the weekends ahead. If you’re looking for a fun and festive appetizer – look no further!
This isn’t any ordinary cheese ball, though. Oh no. Since I’ve been on a caramelized onion kick ever since I made my Caramelized Onion Baked Brie, I decided to go ahead and put some in this cheese ball.
Ummm yeah. A pretty splendid idea, indeed.
The cheese ball is a pretty simple combination of cream cheese, sour cream, white cheddar and those caramelized onions. I used white cheddar so there wasn’t any yellow/orange color to the cheese ball, but you can certainly use regular cheddar if you prefer.
To finish it off, you press some pecans, cranberries, and chopped up rosemary for a little crunch and festive colors.
I served this cheese ball with crackers and toasted baguette and I’d say the baguette was my favorite. You could also slice up some apples or pears for a little savory/sweet combination.
Tell me – what’s your favorite easy appetizer to bring to a holiday party? I feel like this cheese ball might be high on your list!
Looking for other holiday appetizers? Check these out!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces shredded white cheddar
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, brown sugar, salt, and red wine.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring often, until onions are caramelized.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar, and caramelized onions.
- Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Once ready to serve, place cheese ball on a serving plate.
- Press cranberries and pecans into the cheeseball and sprinkle with rosemary.
- Serve with crostini, bread, or crackers.