A Heart Fruit Pizza is made with a sugar cookie crust that is cut into the shape of a heart, topped with cream cheese frosting and berries! It’s perfect for an anniversary or Valentine’s Day.
I’ve been wanting to start a Valentine’s Day tradition with our kids, and I think I have found it – Valentine’s Heart Fruit Pizza! It’s a fun baking project to do with kids that has multiple (but easy!) steps and they get to decorate with the fruit at the end. Bonus: it’s delicious. Yep, I think this is going to be a yearly tradition.
The sugar cookie dough is perfectly soft and flavored with vanilla extract and almond extract. I absolutely love almond extract but if you’re not a fan, simply leave it out. If you want to make the whole thing easier, you could also use a roll of pre-made sugar cookie dough, too. Whatever, works!
The frosting is a simple combination of cream cheese, strawberry jam, and sugar. It’s a very flexible part of this recipe so it is the perfect opportunity to get the kids involved in measuring and mixing.
Ingredients in Heart Fruit Pizza
Baking Powder & Salt
How to Make Heart Fruit Pizza
To start, make the sugar cookie crust. The first thing is to beat together the butter and sugar. Then add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Last, add the dry ingredients – baking powder, salt, and all-purpose flour.
The dough needs to be chilled in the refrigerator for at least one hour. This prevent it from being really sticky when trying to roll it out. Once it has chilled, you will place it on a well-floured surface to roll out. It also helps to sprinkle flour on top of the dough and on the rolling pin, so the dough doesn’t stick.
Roll the dough out to approximately 1/8″ thickness. This is somewhat subjective and I would say just use your judgement. It should be about the thickness of sugar cookies and the diameter of the dough will be about 12-14″. Then, using a pizza cutter or a knife to cut out a large heart. Carefully place the heart onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes.
Once the heart is cooled, you can frost it. The frosting is made by beating together room temperature cream cheese, strawberry jam, and sugar. Spread the frosting across the cookie and then top with sliced strawberries and raspberries. Of course, you can use other fruit if you’d like, but I stuck with red fruit to keep with the heart/Valentine’s Day theme!
This heart fruit pizza was so delicious and such a fun way to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Heart Fruit Pizza (Perfect For Valentine's Day!)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam/jelly
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 ounces strawberries
- 6 ounces raspberries
To Make the Sugar Cookie Crust:
- In a bowl with electric mixer, beat together the butter and granulated sugar until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract, and beat to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and beat until combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. This is important - otherwise the dough will be too sticky.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place dough on a floured surface.
- Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and flour the rolling pin, and roll out to approximately 1/8" thick. It should be about 12-14" in diameter.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut into the shape of a heart.
- *Note: you can roll the leftover dough into individual cookies and bak them, if you'd like. Otherwise, you can discard.
- Carefully place the heart cookie dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes. The edge should be just slightly golden.
- Let cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Place cream cheese and jam in bowl and beat until well combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and salt, and beat until combined.
- Spread over the cooled heart cookie.
- Decorate with sliced fruit.