These Healthy Zucchini Muffins are made with white whole wheat flour, agave syrup, and coconut oil and are even toddler approved!
Okay, who is else watching season two of Bloodline?! Oh. Em. Gee. it is intense! Marc and I just recently started watching season one when we were in Austin a month ago and we were automatically hooked. It actually ended up being good timing because right as we were finishing season one, season two came out on Netflix.
Maybe this is just the millennial in me but I lose interest when I have to wait to watch the next season! Example: Orange is the New Black. When I finished season one I couldn’t wait to watch season two. Then when season two was released, I was only mildly interested because I just wasn’t into it anymore. Yep, totally a millennial problem.
Onto the food! Today I have some super tasty and super delicious zucchini muffins for you! I planted my first zucchini plant in my garden this year and am super excited to do tons of cooking and baking with zucchini! Zucchini cake, muffins, grilled, oatmeal, fritters, tacos, and my new favorite – zucchini noodles! I mean really, is there any other vegetable that is as versatile as zucchini?!
While I love my Lemon Zucchini Muffin recipe, I was aiming for something a little healthier – no refined sugar, whole grains, the whole deal. I originally made these muffins just for Lars which always gives me extra incentive to keep things healthy. He hasn’t had any of my “naughty” baked goods yet – I’m thinking his birthday cake will be the first time!
Even though I made these for Lars, I ended up eating most of them myself. And that’s not because Lars didn’t like them – it’s because while he would eat 1/2 of one for breakfast, I could eat two or three. While they were delicious on their own, I loved them with a big smear of butter on them.
Since I froze half of them, I would defrost a couple in the microwave and they’d come out warm, and then I would spread a thick layer of butter on each half and wait until it was all nice and melty before I dug in…SO good! It’s the little things, y’know?
Luckily, I felt good about both of us eating them because they’re made with white whole wheat flour (the King Arthur brand is my favorite!), agave syrup (you could also use maple syrup!), and coconut oil.
These will definitely be a summer staple in our house!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave
- 2/3 cup milk I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil measured in the melted state
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups shredded zucchini with the majority of the excess liquid squeezed out
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray, or place liners in muffin tin.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, and stir well to combine.
- In large bowl, whisk together egg, maple syrup, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in shredded zucchini.
- Fill muffin pan 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes, until muffins are slightly golden and toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!