A healthy banana muffin made with whole wheat flour, no refined sugar, Greek yogurt, and a handful of chocolate chips!
I think this might be the start of an unintentional Muffin Week because I have three muffin recipes ready to share with you! I guess we’ve been on a little muffin kick. They’re just so great for mornings when the boys want something IMMEDIATELY after waking up and I’m not ready to make oatmeal or eggs. My personal favorite? These healthy chocolate chip banana muffins.
I would say I’m partial to any banana baked good over others. The boys have loved all of the muffin recipes I’ve tested on them, but these banana muffins? I’m all over them.
Ingredients in Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
I love these muffins because they are made with really great ingredients. They are made with whole wheat flour (you can use white whole wheat or all-purpose, if you want!), sweetened with honey and the ripe bananas, have Greek yogurt in them, and just a couple tablespoons of oil.
I’m always a fan of a little chocolate, so I went ahead and threw a handful of chocolate chips in them, which my boys are also fans of, but feel free to leave them out or swap them with pecans or walnuts instead. Totally up to you!
These muffins are a breeze to whip up. You simply mash the bananas and then whisk in the remaining ingredients. I don’t even have you mix the dry ingredients first. Personally I don’t really see much of a difference than when mixing them together first, so why dirty another bowl and waste time on another step?!
I’ll definitely be hoarding bananas from now on because between these Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins and my Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins, I can’t stop with the banana muffins!
Check out these other banana recipes:
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins from Fox and Briar
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt I use whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted or canola oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 12 muffin cup pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas.
- Add the Greek yogurt, honey, egg, oil, and vanilla extract, whisking well to combine.
- Stir in the baking soda and the salt.
- Add the flour, and stir in with a spatula.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- Top each muffin off with 2-3 more chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until tops are set.
- Cool and enjoy!