Healthy Banana Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins are a super easy and healthy recipe for banana muffins made with white whole wheat flour, coconut oil, Greek yogurt, and honey!
I’ve been working on this recipe for Healthy Banana Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins for a very long time. I make a lot of muffins and quick breads and have a lot of tricks to making healthy baked goods taste good, but for some reason I just couldn’t nail it with the banana muffins. They always ended up dry and lacking flavor, and no one in my family wanted to eat them.
I wanted a muffin that was healthy, but didn’t really taste healthy. I wanted whole grains and no refined sugars, yet I wanted it to still be moist and sweet. Was that so much to ask?!
I finally hit the sweet spot with all of the ingredients and it’s a little weird how excited I am about it. But let’s just put it this way – the entire batch of muffins (that’s 12 muffins!) was gone in 36 hours. So don’t mind me – I’ll just be hoarding ripe bananas from now on so I can make these muffins any chance I get!
How to Make Healthy Banana Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins have pretty common ingredients in them – nothing too fancy! I use white whole wheat flour because I love the whole grains and the lightness of the flour, unlike whole wheat flour which can be a little heavy sometimes. I like King Arthur or Trader Joe’s brands the best!
For the sweetener, I use honey in this recipe, along with the sweetness from the bananas. These muffins were plenty sweet but if you like your baked goods really sweet, you could also use sweetened Greek yogurt. I use plain Greek yogurt in mine. For the fat, I used coconut oil, but you can really use any mild tasting oil such as canola or vegetable.
Since I love my banana bread with chocolate chips, I couldn’t help but throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips in these muffins. I always buy the Nestle brand and I love that they are bigger than their semisweet chocolate chips! If you’re not a fan of chocolate chips in your muffins, you can definitely omit them or throw in a handful of hearty healthy walnuts instead.
That’s it! I told you it was pretty simple. These were so great for a quick breakfast, easy snack for myself and the boys, and also did the trick for dessert. Like I said – these Healthy Banana Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins didn’t last long in our house!
Looking for other banana recipes? Check these out!
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12 cavity muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the egg, coconut oil, honey, Greek yogurt, and vanilla and mix well to combine.
- Add white whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a spatula until just combined.
- fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between the 12 muffins, each muffin cavity should be about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy!