This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole combines my love for tater tots and make-ahead breakfast casseroles! It is filled with eggs, cheese, and ham for a hearty breakfast casserole that will feed a crowd!
To use up the leftover Cranberry Glazed Ham, I wanted to make a tater tot breakfast casserole that would be great for the holiday season. I have made an egg casserole with tater tots before, and I really loved how it turned out! It turns out the combination of eggs cheese and tater tots is a stellar one.
The great thing about this ham breakfast casserole is that it can be prepped the night before. This means the morning of, you simply have to put it in the oven and bake it – so simple! The actual process of prepping it is also incredibly easy, which I’ll talk about later! First, let’s talk about the ingredients you’ll need.
Ingredients in Ham Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Frozen tater tots
Salt & pepper
All of these ingredients are easy to find – especially if you’re using up leftover ham! If not, you could definitely use ham deli meat or a ham steak and just chop it up. In addition, if you’re not a fan of ham, you can definitely use bacon or sausage instead.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
This ham tater tot breakfast casserole recipe truly is as easy as they come! You’ll start by greasing a 9×13″ baking dish and spreading out the frozen tater tots along the bottom. Then you’ll sprinkle it with the diced ham and shredded cheese.
After whisking together the eggs, milk, sour cream, spices, salt, and pepper, you’ll pour it over the dish and it’s ready to go! At this point you can cover it and refrigerate it, to bake it in the morning, or bake it immediately.
This breakfast casserole can be topped with chopped parsley, green onions, or both! This would be a great breakfast main dish to serve to a large crowd – especially during the holidays!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Ultimate Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole from Emily’s Bites
Ham Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- chopped parsley or green onions, for topping
- If baking immediately, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the frozen tater tots on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with the diced ham and shredded cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, mustard, and garlic powder until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tot/ham/cheese mixture.
- If prepping for ahead of time, cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake, up to overnight.
- If baking right away, bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and the egg casserole is baked through.
- If prepped ahead of time, take the egg casserole out and let sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes prior to baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake in the preheated oven to 50-60 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and egg casserole is baked through.
- Top with chopped parsley or green onions and serve. Enjoy!