Are you sick of hearing me talk about how much zucchini I have from my garden? I hope not, because it just keeps on coming and I keep on coming up with new recipes! Except for these Zucchini Banana Muffins and Bread…those are on repeat in our household.
This week, I have a couple of savory zucchini recipes for you, starting with this Grilled Zucchini and Corn Orzo Salad.
The inspiration from this salad actually is a little nostalgic for me. You see, when I was in the hospital after having Lars, my mom sent me a text asking what I needed her to pick up from Target for when we got home. My list included the ingredients for a recipe for Zucchini Corn and Quinoa Bowls, along with some healthy staples like carrots, hummus, and bananas. Oh and the last thing on the list? Granny Panties. There are some things people don’t tell you about post-labor necessities and I’m here to tell you that big ‘ol granny panties are NECESSARY. Believe me, you don’t want to be wearing your cute little undies after you give birth. Just trust me.
ANYWAYS. I remember loving those Zucchini Corn and Quinoa Bowls when we got home. They were healthy, nourishing, and absolutely delicious. My appetite for the first couple of weeks after giving birth was oddly very low. I had heard of people having raging appetites after birth, especially when breastfeeding, but I had the opposite experience, so I found it especially important to eat healthy things that were filled with nutrients.
So last week when I was thinking of a side dish to make for a BBQ we were hosting, my mind immediately went to my zucchini. And then to this quinoa salad. I didn’t have any quinoa in my cupboard, but I did have orzo and it worked great in this salad. That said, I think quinoa would be wonderful, too.
While the original recipe doesn’t call for grilling the veggies, I thought it might be a good way to add even more flavor and I really loved how it turned out. That said, you could also sauté your veggies if you don’t want to grill them!
This was a great, lighter side dish to our smoked pulled pork, and it was also a delicious lunch the next day! Topped with grilled chicken, it was super filling. I hope you love it as much as we did!
Grilled Zucchini and Corn Orzo Salad
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed (or 2-3 ears of sweet corn)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for grilling the veggies
- salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 green onions chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- Bring a medium pot with water to boil.
- Add orzo and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, chop zucchini and toss with corn and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place zucchini and corn in a fine mesh grill pan and grill over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. Note: if you are using corn on the cob, you can just brush it with olive oil and grill the whole cob on the grill, about 3-4 minutes on each side, turning twice. Then cool the corn on the cob and cut off kernels.
- In a large bowl, combine orzo, zucchini, and corn.
- In a small mason jar, combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Screw on lid and shake well until combined.
- Pour over orzo and veggies, and stir to combine.
- Garnish with green onions and goat cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!