I always consider it a personal victory when I make a healthy meal that Marc really, truly enjoys. I don’t usually dare call a salad “dinner” but we have an abundance of greens and squash from our CSA so I dreamt up this salad and crossed my fingers. I also had bought a steak to try out a new dry rub recipe that our new neighbors had given us, so steak salads it was. You can understand now why when we were eating these salads for dinner the other night and Marc said “I could eat this salad every night” I did a mental victory dance. Salad for the win!
This grilled veggie and steak salad was a big hit between Marc and I. We both loved the rub on the steak, which is a combination of black pepper, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and coffee and while it sounds strange, somehow all of the spices work so well together. I was also a big fan of the grilled veggies on the salad as they add a ton of flavor and different textures. You could definitely use other veggies that you have on hand – zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, you name it.
Then there’s the blue cheese and chive dressing. It may take 2 more minutes to make this dressing than it would to pull out a bottle of blue cheese dressing from the refrigerator, but I promise it’s worth it. If you buy a good blue cheese, the flavor will really stand out and make a difference. And finally, the grilled croutons. They were charred and crispy on the outside, but still a little soft on the inside. I also loved the flavor that a little bit of garlic salt added to them. All together, the different components work together really well.
So as you may have noticed, this salad has a lot going on, and probably a few more steps than you’d typically take for a salad. Like I mentioned, you make your own dressing but really (truly!) this is a breeze as you just toss the ingredients in a food processor and pulse away. Then, you also have three different components on the grill: the veggies, the steak, and the croutons. You could certainly skip the step of grilling the croutons and buy pre-made or bake them instead, but we really loved the flavor from grilling them. Once the steak, veggies, and croutons are prepared, it’s just a matter of timing. Put the veggies on first as they’ll take a bit longer, around 20-25 minutes depending on what veggies you use. Then put the steaks on, and once those are done the veggies should be just about ready too. Lastly you’ll throw the croutons on the grill for a couple of minutes while the steak rests.
So yes, a number of steps, but I didn’t find it too overwhelming, especially with a cute sous chef to help out and a gorgeous summer evening to enjoy on the patio.
grilled veggie and steak salad with blue cheese and chive dressing
for the steak:
- 2 large ribeye t-bone, or sirloin steaks
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp ground coffee
for the vegetables
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 yellow summer squash diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
for the dressing:
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
for the grilled croutons:
- 4 thick slices of hearty bread diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
for the salad:
- salad greens
- additional blue cheese crumbles for topping optional
For the steak:
- Combine rub ingredients in small bowl, then rub over steaks on both sides.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- While the steak is marinating, prepare the veggies and dressing.
- Once marinated, oil grates with paper towel dipped in oil, and preheat grill. (Put veggies on 10-15 minutes on prior to cooking the steak)
- Cook steaks until the internal temperature reaches 145 to 160 degrees, about 5-7 minutes on each side depending on preference and thickness of steak.
- Let the steak rest while you grill the croutons.
For the veggies:
- Combine veggies with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place in grill pan or wrap in foil.
- Grill over medium high heat 20-25 minutes. (So you will want to put them on before the steaks go on)
For the dressing:
- In food processor, combine blue cheese, buttermilk, mayo, Worcestershire, salt, and chives and pulse to combine.
- This can be done ahead of time. Store in refrigerator.
For the croutons:
- Toss diced bread in olive oil and garlic salt.
- Once steak is done cooking, place croutons in with veggies (I would move the veggies aside to give the bread a little direct heat). Cook on grill 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully.
- Top salad greens with sliced steak, grilled veggies, grilled croutons, crumbled blue cheese, and drizzle with dressing.