Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil make a healthy and flavorful chicken marinate that is perfect for putting on skewers and grilling!
Grilling season is right around the corner, and I’m always looking for creative chicken recipes. I prefer chicken recipes that are simple, healthy, and full of flavor, and this Grilled Greek Yogurt Chicken is exactly that!
Ingredients in Grilled Greek Yogurt Chicken
This Grilled Greek Yogurt Chicken recipe is incredibly easy, uses staple ingredients that I always have in my refrigerator, and is absolutely delicious. The marinade is a simple combination of plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Grilled Greek Yogurt Chicken
To prepare this chicken, you can either begin 30 minutes before you want to fire up the grill, or six hours before! I prepped mine earlier in the day to give the chance to really tenderize from the yogurt and lemon juice, resulting in very tender and flavorful chicken.
The boneless, skinless chicken breasts are diced into approximately 1″ chunks, which allows more surface area for the marinade to get into the chicken, and makes them perfect for skewers, or kabobs. You can certainly leave the chicken breasts whole – just adjust the cooking time accordingly!
Since I put my Greek yogurt chicken on skewers, I also added some zucchini and red onion to them. I love when veggies get charred on the grill and these two were the perfect additions. You could also add mushrooms or bell peppers!
The chicken skewers require about 12-15 minutes on the grill, flipping them once to get them cooked through. I find chicken kabobs cook more evenly and throughout when they aren’t squished together on the skewers, so be sure to give the pieces of chicken and veggies a little room to breath when you’re threading the skewers!
With the lemon and garlic flavors of the chicken, I served it with an easy Greek rice pilaf, my cucumber caprese salad (made with parsley instead of basil), and my homemade Tzatziki sauce. All of the recipes are linked below. The combination of the flavors was perfect and it was a delicious dinner enjoyed on the patio!
What to Serve with Greek Yogurt Chicken:
Tomato Cucumber Caprese (with parsley instead of basil!)
Grilled Greek Yogurt Chicken Skewers
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 red onion
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1" pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp of the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken and toss well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 6 hours.
- When ready to cook, cut the zucchini and red onion into pieces that can be threaded on a skewer and toss in the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Thread the chicken, zucchini, and onion onto the skewers.*
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the kabobs onto the grill and cook for 13-15 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!