Are you sick of grilling recipes yet? I hope not because I’m only getting started! Also p.s. where has June gone?? I can’t believe it’s over halfway over and really more so, I can’t believe my baby boy is going to be TWO years old next week!
Where does the time go? Do I sound old when I say that? Don’t answer that.
Back to the grilling. Way back when, when I made my Steak Fajita Kabobs, I also made these delicious little gems – Grilled Chili Lime Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado Yogurt Dipping Sauce. While they were technically a side dish to the steak, I almost felt like they stole the show.
With their crispy outside, soft inside, and can’t miss it chili lime flavor, they are definitely not to be forgotten! Oh and don’t forget the yogurt avocado dipping sauce – that is not optional!
When I was researching how to grill sweet potatoes, I came across a LOT of different opinions and methods. There seemed to be a general agreement that straight up grilling sweet potatoes does not yield a great result. The outside gets charred too quickly and the inside stays hard. Bleh.
I also saw other methods of grilling and then roasting, roasting and then grilling, and then (the method that I decided to employ) microwave and then grill.
I chose the microwave and then grill method so I wouldn’t have to turn my oven on. I mean, what fun is grilling if you still have to turn the oven on?
This method ended up working really well! Basically, you microwave the sweet potato whole for 7 minutes. This is enough to get the sweet potato slightly softened, but not completely cooked through. Then you cut into wedges, toss in the chili lime dressing, and grill.
I grilled mine in a mesh grill pan, to give them a little barrier between the grates. Since the sweet potatoes still need a little cooking, you don’t want them to get charred immediately. I found the grill pan and a medium heat on the grill worked well to achieve this.
These Chili Lime Sweet Potato Wedges would be a great side to basically any grilled meats – chicken, steak, fish, even burgers and brats!
Grilled Chili Lime Sweet Potato Wedges
- 2 large sweet potatoes washed, skin on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the yogurt avocado sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt I used whole milk
- 1 avocado pit and peel removed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Poke sweet potatoes with several holes with a fork.
- Place in microwave and microwave on high for 7 minutes. They should be hot but not completely soft.
- Make the avocado yogurt sauce while the sweet potatoes are in the microwave.
- Place yogurt, avocado, cumin, garlic powder, and salt in a food processor and blend to combine. Set aside.
- Cut each sweet potato in half the short way (so you lay the sweet potato flat and cut it through the middle).
- Cut each sweet potato half in half the long way (so you place the cut edge of the sweet potato on the cutting board and cut down the middle the long way).
- Lay the sweet potato quarters down with the skin up and cut into wedges.
- Place wedges in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and sea salt and drizzle over wedges.
- Toss to combine.
- Light grill to medium heat.
- Place sweet potato wedges in a mesh grill pan (or something similar) and place on grill. Close lid.
- Grill for ~5 minutes, then toss and grill another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't burning!
- Serve with avocado dipping sauce and enjoy!