Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwich is all of the flavors of caprese – tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella – in a chicken sandwich!
I’m a huge fan of all of the things caprese. Not only is it delicious, but it just screams “summertime!”. Sure, you could make a caprese salad during the winter but it wouldn’t be anywhere near as flavorful as it is in the summer with sweet and juicy tomatoes and basil from the garden or farmers market. I love adding the flavors of a caprese salad to so many dishes – from pasta salad to crostini – and now this Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwich.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwich
This sandwich starts by marinating chicken breasts in a simple combination of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Thirty minutes is the minimum amount of time you’ll want to marinate the chicken. If you have the time, marinate it all day long for maximum flavor.
This caprese sandwich is also best if you grill the bread, which gets the bread a little toasty and adds so much flavor to the sandwich. Oh and you’re going to want to use good bread here like a loaf of sourdough or french bread from the bakery. This is not a time to use regular sandwich bread!
Once the chicken and bread are grilled, it’s super easy from here. Simply assemble the sandwich all together, topping the grilled chicken with slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, tomato slices, and fresh basil, and finishing it off with a drizzle of balsamic reduction glaze.
I used to make my own balsamic glaze, but I’ve been a big fan of the store-bought kind lately. It’s obviously so much easier than making it, tastes just as good, and I love having the bottle to squeeze it from. Of course if you want, you can certainly make your own!
We served these sandwiches with some grilled vegetables and a cucumber salad, and it was such a satisfying summer meal!
Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounce fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8 tomato slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- balsamic reduction, homemade or store-bought
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and cover with marinade. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness, until internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Brush slices of bread with olive oil.
- Grill each piece 1-2 minutes on each side.
- To assemble sandwiches, place one chicken breast half on a slice of bread.
- Top with mozzarella cheese, tomato slices, and basil leaves.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and then top with slice of bread.
- Serve and enjoy!