Tart and tangy Grapefruit Bars are perfect to brighten up a dreary winter day!
How about a little ray of sunshine to finish out this dreary week?! And when I say dreary I mean both figuratively and literally. Like it was literally dreary here all. week. long. I don’t think I saw the sun once. And figuratively because let’s face it: it’s just been a shitty week.
What’s even worse? I work all weekend! BOO.
Like I mentioned in my last post, I’m going through a job change as a physical therapist. I’ll be going from working at an outpatient orthopedic clinic with regular part-time hours to working on-call at a transitional care unit. This will be great for our family because with Marc’s crazy schedule, it will be much more flexible. I’ll also be working in a setting that I really love.
The difficult part is that I’ll be leaving behind people that I have come to love and know as dear friends over the past 3 1/2 years. It will be HARD. It is already hard. Change is hard y’know?
It’s also been tough because it has meant that even though I’m still working at my “old” job, I’ve been doing hours and hours and of orientation at the other places, and am now working my first shifts this weekend. So while it will be great when I’m just working my on-call job, it has felt like a LOT of working the past month and a half! Hence, another reason why I haven’t been able to put as much time and energy into the blog.
One thing I haven’t stopped putting energy into is baking. I guess you could say I’ve been “stress baking” lately.
These grapefruit bars completely took me by surprise. I first made them for dessert when we had some friends over for dinner. They were completely last minute and while I figured they’d be good, I wasn’t expecting them to be REALLY GOOD.
Since they ended up being that good, I figured I had to make them again to share them with you! Plus I maybe just wanted to eat more of them, y’know?
The reason I didn’t expect them to be awesome is because they really are so simple. The crust is a simple mixture of butter, flour, and sugar which once again reminds me, why do I ever doubt the power of those three amazing ingredients?
The filling is a combination of sugar, grapefruit juice and zest, and eggs which really just lets the flavor of grapefruit shine through.
I finished the bars off with a dusting of powdered sugar which perfectly complements the tart filling. These bars are just what this dreary time of year calls for!
For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed
For the filling:
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- zest of 1 grapefruit
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven o 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9x13" baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, and butter, and combine with a pastry blender or two forks. You can also use your fingers to get the butter evenly combined. It's ready when you can grab a fistful and it will hold together.
- Press into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- In another large bowl, whisk together sugar and flour to combine.
- Add eggs, grapefruit juice, and grapefruit zest and whisk until well combined.
- Pour over baked crust.
- Return to the oven and bake another 30-35 minutes, until set.
- Let cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!