Gingerbread Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins are a healthy holiday treat full of warm spices, whole grains, and dark chocolate chips!
While gingerbread isn’t something that I typically crave this time of year (I tend to prefer anything eggnog or peppermint!), I had the thought of a gingerbread muffin earlier this month and couldn’t get it out of my head. I actually have another ginger/molasses and chocolate treat coming up for you next week, too. Apparently when I get on a combination kick, I have a hard time stopping!
I had to make a few batches of these gingerbread muffins before I ended up with a muffin that I was happy with. I wanted to keep it on the healthier side with whole wheat flour, no refined sugar, and no butter. Unfortunately,I kept getting dry muffins.
Sometimes when this happens with recipe development, I just give up, but I knew this recipe idea had serious potential. I’m glad I didn’t throw in the towel because these muffins finally turned out SO good!
They are soft but hearty from the oats, tender, and perfectly spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. While I know these gingerbread oat muffins would be delicious as is, I couldn’t help but throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips. You could leave them out but I am a strong advocate of the chocolate.
How to Make Gingerbread Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins
The great thing about these muffins is how easy they are. To start out, you simply combine melted olive oil, molasses, maple syrup, and egg. To that you stir in the spices, oats, and white whole wheat flour.
My favorite way to eat these Gingerbread Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins was warmed in the microwave for about 15 seconds and with a layer of butter on each half. It’s not lost on me that I created a healthy butter-less muffin recipe and then spread butter on it. What can I say – I’m a strange one like that.
If you’re looking for a healthy on-the-go breakfast or snack recipe for this holiday and winter season, give these Gingerbread Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins a try – I’m sure glad I did!!
Looking for other holiday breakfast ideas? Check these out!
Gingerbread Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk could substitute cows milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil you could use canola or vegetable oil, too
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray muffin tin with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together molasses, maple syrup, milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter between 12 muffin tins, filling about 3/4 the way up.
- Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes. The edges will be set and top will be just set...a toothpick should come out with a few crumbs.
- Watch carefully the last couple of minutes - you don't want them dry!