Giant Funfetti Cookies are like a birthday cake in a huge cookie! These funfetti cookies are made with a combination of cake mix and flour, making them semi-homemade.
I absolutely love the flavor of funfetti. I’m not sure what exactly goes into that “cake batter” “birthday cake” flavoring, but oh man it’s SO good! I love making desserts like my Funfetti Ice Cream Cake and Funfetti Sandwich Cookies, so I decided to create my own bakery-style Giant Funfetti Cookies.
These funfetti cookies are seriously so dang good. The first couple of times that I test them, they kept spreading out too thin. The flavor was great but I wanted these cookies to be giant but also thick and sturdy. I also decided I didn’t care if I had to use a box of funfetti cake mix to get that funfetti flavor. These cookies are made with a combination of cake mix and flour, so I’d call them semi-homemade. The other key to making them is starting with cold butter. If you start with room temperature butter, they will spread out too thin.
Ingredients in Giant Funfetti Cookies
Cold, Unsalted Butter – starting with cold butter will keep them from spreading out too thin.
Eggs and Egg Yolk
Funfetti Cake Mix – essential for that funfetti flavor!
All-Purpose Flour – I always use unbleached all-purpose flour.
Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt
Funfetti Sprinkles – for rolling the cookies in!
How to Make Giant Funfetti Cookies
First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lining a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. This cookie recipe starts by beating the cold butter until it’s creamy. You want to get it creamy so it won’t be clumpy once you add the sugar. After the butter is creamy, you’ll add the sugar and beat until combined, followed by the eggs and egg yolk. The addition of the egg yolk adds a little extra fat and makes the cookies chewy.
Next, add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix to combine. Lastly, add the cake mix followed by the flour, mixing until it is all one unified dough. The dough gets made into giant cookie dough balls by using a 1/2 cup measuring cup. I sprayed mine with cooking spray to make it easier to get the dough out.
Once the dough balls are formed, roll them in funfetti sprinkles. Next, you’ll spread them out onto a couple of baking sheets. I found that three cookies fit on one baking sheet and I baked mine one sheet at a time to ensure even baking. The recipe makes 8 cookies so it will take a few rounds of baking.
The cookies are baked for 10-11 minutes, which will get the edges slightly golden and the middle cooked just enough that they will be baked but not doughy and not overbooked! We are going for chewy. Since they are such large cookies, it’s important to cool them completely. I cooled them for 10-15 minutes on the baking sheet and then carefully transferred them to a cooling rack with a spatula so they cooled completely. By the time they are cool, they should be sturdy.
That’s it! You’re on your way to the best giant funfetti cookies you’ve ever had!
Tips for the Best Funfetti Cookies
Make sure the cookie dough balls are 1/2 cup. This recipe makes 8 cookies, so if you have more cookie dough balls than that, you’re not making them big enough.
The cookies will seem underbaked when you take them out of the oven. They shouldn’t be shiny on top, that means they need another minute or two, but they will seem not completely cooked. They WILL set up as they cool! These cookies are best when cooled completely.
What are funfetti cookies?
Funfetti cookies are cookies with the flavor of funfetti cake. Funfetti is the flavor of white cake, usually with colored sprinkles in them. So these cookies have funfetti cake mix in them for that amazing funfetti flavor!
Can you freeze funfetti cookies?
Yes! You can freeze the dough balls or the baked cookies. If you freeze the dough balls, just let them thaw for about 15 minutes and add 1-2 minutes to the baking time. For the baked cookies, just let them come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Giant Funfetti Cookies
- 1 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15.25 ounce box funfetti cake mix
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- funfetti sprinkles, for rolling the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter until no longer in chunks.
- Add the sugar and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, until combined.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add the cake mix and the flour, beating until combined.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, form the dough into 1/2 cup cookie balls. Note: this recipe makes 8 cookies. If you turn out with more cookie dough balls, they aren't big enough! You can still bake them, but they just won't be as large.
- Place the sprinkles in a large bowl and roll each dough ball in the sprinkles.
- Place 3 of the balls on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. The edges will be slightly golden. The center may not look completely done, but it shouldn't be shiny on top. If the dough is still shiny, put them cookies in for another 1-2 minutes and check regularly. Cool completely (this is important!).
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
- Store in an airtight container.