It’s funny how mistakes in the kitchen can sometimes turn into something even better than what you were hoping for. Take this quinoa soup for example. It was originally intended to be a quinoa salad. Specifically a curried chicken and quinoa salad. I got a little carried away while making the “dressing” and when I added it to the quinoa, I had more of a stew than a salad. So, instead of getting annoyed and upset at the new development in the recipe, I added more broth and voila! Soup.
And mighty tasty soup, I might add. I just love the flavor of curry and it is a perfect match with the quinoa. The only thing I would do differently next time is add chickpeas. If you want to make this recipe vegetarian, then I would definitely suggest swapping the chicken for a can or two of chickpeas. Any other white bean would probably work but I love the chewiness of chickpeas.
This is a really fun and delicious way to eat quinoa and an insanely healthy meal. Did you know a serving of quinoa has 8 grams of protein in it?! Plus the base of this soup is pureed veggies, so after eating this for lunch you can totally justify a cookie for dessert. Just to keep things balanced, you know.
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 " knob of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 12 oz can coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 green onions diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain yogurt for topping
- Bring 2 cups of water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked. Set aside.
- Roughly chop onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Place vegetables into food processor along with curry powder, cinnamon, and ginger. Pulse until it is a coarse paste.
- In a large soup pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add vegetable paste and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in 3 cups of chicken broth, coconut milk, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, red bell pepper, green onion, and quinoa and stir to combine.
- Add last cup of chicken broth so soup is your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, to your liking.
- Serve topped with a dollop of plain yogurt.