Last week I had a craving for mango chutney. This craving seemed strange since I can’t remember ever eating mango chutney but I followed my belly and made homemade mango chutney. I ended up loosely following this recipe, adding diced onion and adjusting the spices a little bit. It’s good stuff. Along with my craving for mango chutney, I had the idea to use the chutney as a marinade for chicken legs. It ended up turning into coconut milk and mango chutney marinated chicken, and I was going to stop there and throw them on the grill, but since it was a cold rainy night, that plan didn’t work out.
Instead it turned into this version of “oven fried” chicken, with the addition of coconut to the breadcrumb mixture. The chicken was incredibly moist and flavorful from the coconut milk and mango chutney, and the coconut breadcrumb coating was the perfect complement to the marinade. If you make the chutney ahead of time, or simply use store-bought mango chutney, this is a super quick and easy recipe that is perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 8 skin-on chicken legs or 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- mango chutney for topping
- Place chicken in tupperware or zip-top plastic baggie along with coconut milk and mango chutney.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 1 1/2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine panko breadcrumbs, coconut, and salt in shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from marinade, then dredge chicken, one piece at a time, in breadcrumb mixture and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, then flip over and bake an addition 25-30 minutes, until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Top with additional mango chutney. Enjoy!