I never know what day of the week to post breakfast recipes. I feel on Mondays and Tuesdays, we are all just surviving, trying to make it past Tuesday. Because we all know once Wednesday hits, the weekend is just around the corner.
I also feel that it’s unfair to post breakfast recipes on the weekend. By the time most of you have read it, the weekend is over and you’re sure as heck not making a breakfast casserole on Monday morning. So I decided today that Wednesday night/Thursday morning is the ideal time. It’s close enough to the weekend when you are starting to plan your agenda. Far enough in advance for you to plan out your weekend festivities. Including breakfast.
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make or more perfect for a lazy weekend morning. I’m usually a little skeptical of such simple recipes with such basic ingredients, but this one proved me wrong. The crescent rolls are the perfect flaky crust for the sausage, egg, and cheese topping. While, yes, they are basic ingredients, they are delicious together.
I added a little bit of dried rosemary just because I can’t leave good enough alone. I really think it added that special touch to this casserole. This recipe is also very adaptable to whatever ingredients you have on hand. The sausage could be replaced by bacon, canadian bacon, or even sauteed veggies for the vegetarians, and you could really use any kind of shredded cheese you want.
So now that we’ve decided it’s the optimal time of the week to daydream about the weekend, it makes perfect sense to bookmark this recipe, grab the ingredients on Friday night, and be ready for that Saturday morning dilemma of what to have for breakfast. Prepare yourself for a tasty breakfast treat this weekend.
crescent roll breakfast casserole
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 8 oz package crescent rolls
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat cook the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, letting it brown completely.
- Unroll the crescent rolls and spread them out in the bottom of a 9x13" pan, pressing the seams together to make one large sheet of dough.
- Sprinkle the sausage over the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the sausage.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the eggs are set.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then cut into slices. Enjoy!