Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup is for all of the mushroom lovers! A super silky soup based, made creamy by pureeing some of the broth and mushrooms and then a splash of cream! Pure comfort food!
I’ve never understood why people don’t like mushrooms. I’m a mushroom enthusiast and gravitate towards anything and everything that has mushrooms in it! Pizza, pasta, burgers, and now SOUP!
When I typically think of creamy mushroom soup, I think of that can of condensed soup which makes my stomach turn a little bit. It’s just so globby and…fake?
This Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup is the exact opposite of the canned version! It’s full of mushroom flavor from oven roasting the mushrooms and creamy from pureeing the broth and mushrooms and just a splash of cream.
Ingredients in Creamy Mushroom Soup
Cremini and button mushrooms
That’s it! The ingredients are so, so simple. And the process of making the soup is quite simple as well.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Soup
This soup starts by roasting the mushrooms with some olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. While you are roasting the mushrooms, you can make the soup base which is made by melting butter and cooking some shallots. Then you’ll create a creamy roux with flour and broth.
Finally, add the roasted mushrooms to the soup, puree ~2 cups of the mixture, and add some cream! Seriously – that’s it! It’s so easy and flavorful!
I served this soup topped with fresh thyme and with a bunch of crusty bread. I supposed a green salad would add some balance, too.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Mushroom Garlic Soup from Pups with Chopsticks
Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms from Half Baked Harvest
Creamy Roasted Mushroom SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 2 lbs mushrooms (I used a combination of button and cremini)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 sprig thyme, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Add the mushrooms to the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil and garlic, tossing well so the mushrooms are mostly coated.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Roast the mushrooms in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until browned and tender.
- While the mushrooms are roasting, make the rest of the soup. Add the butter to a soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced shallots to the melted butter and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute, until slightly browned.
- Slowly stir in 1/2 cup of chicken/vegetable broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Slowly add the rest of the chicken/vegetable broth, whisking as you add it to create a creamy soup base.
- Once it is all added bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted mushrooms, stirring to combine.
- Remove 2 cups of the soup, including some of the mushrooms, and puree in a high-speed blender. Return the puree to the soup and stir to combine.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until it is warmed through.
- Serve topped with fresh thyme. Enjoy!