Creamy Lemon Shrimp Pasta is a quick, easy, and delicious weeknight dinner!
While Marc and I never ate a lot of pasta when it was just the two of us, it’s quickly becoming a staple in our regular rotation of weekly dinners. Both of our boys absolutely love “noodle night” – regardless of if it’s spaghetti, simple buttered noodles, or alfredo sauce. I’m just thankful when they’ll eat something that’s not dipped in ranch so – noodle night for the win!
When it comes to choosing sauces, I’m always a creamy sauce girl. I mean, how can you go wrong with butter, cream, and cheese? You just can’t. And while creamy sauces might seem intimidating, I assure you they’re not! It’s really as simple as combining some butter, milk, and cheese.
Another selling point for cream-based sauces is that they don’t stain like tomato sauces do. When you’re feeding two small children, this totally matters! Spaghetti sauce night means undressing them both down to their undies before dinner. When I served this Creamy Lemon Shrimp Pasta, however, I didn’t have to whip out the stain remover immediately after dinner. Hallelujah.
Now, let’s talk about this impressive little dish. I mean, it does look impressive, right? Would you believe me if I said it was done in 25 minutes, TOPS?! The thing that takes the longest is waiting for the pasta water to boil.
While you’re waiting for the water to boil/pasta to cook, you’ll start on the rest by cooking the shrimp. Shrimp cooks really fast, so that part will be done in five minutes. Then you’ll saute some garlic, slowly whisk in some milk, cream, and finally Parmesan cheese. I also added some lemon juice and zest in this recipe for a bright pop of spring flavor. So delicious!
Then you’ll let it simmer for a minute or two and then throw in that cooked pasta and shrimp for one delicious dinner! I told ya it was easy.
If you’re not a fan of shrimp, you can definitely use a different protein like chicken, or just omit it altogether. You can also use whatever shape of noodle is your favorite. We love spaghetti of fettuccine noodles, for their sluprability. It’s another fun part of noodle night!
Creamy Lemon Shrimp PastaPrint Rate
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest from ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Fresh parsley for topping
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink, about 5 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from pan.
- Add garlic to the remaining butter and cook for one minute, being careful not to burn it.
- Slowly whisk in milk, followed by cream.
- Let the milk mixture heat up, coming to a light simmer and then stir in the Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper, stirring to let the cheese melt.
- Add in the cooked pasta and shrimp, stirring to coat the noodles.
- Serve topped with parsley.