A couple of weeks ago one of my favorite bloggers, Natalie from The Sweets Life, posted about thanking people with food. As in, when someone does a favor for you, you say ‘thank you’ with cookies. Or brownies. Or Muffins. You get the idea. I’m definitely on board with this gesture, and I more often than not bake goodies for people when I owe them a thank you. Since Marc’s parents are watching Maddie all week while we are on vacation, and our sister-in-law woke up way before anyone should have to wake up to take us to the airport for our trip, I decided thank you-baked goods were in order. (side note: have I mentioned how awesome the family I married into is?!)
The problem with making these bars to share is that Marc and I both wanted to keep them for ourselves. They’re the kind of dessert that you keep cutting a little slice off, then another, and then another. They’re addicting, I tell ya. Not exactly the best problem to have when I was 1 day away from wearing a bikini, so I forced the knife away from yet another sliver, and packaged them up. You can’t say ‘thank you’ with just 1 piece of a dessert!
I’m always a fan of crumb-topped desserts so I loved the fact that these had the crumb topping and crust. The creamy filling is made simply of sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. I found it perfectly lemon-flavored – not too overwhelming but just enough to complement the crumb crust and topping. These are a great spring and summer dessert – light, lemony, and delicious!
creamy lemon crumb barsPrint Rate
- 11/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick 1/2 Cup butter, at room tempearture
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 can 14 Ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar with electric mixer until well combined.
- In small bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and oats.
- Add oat/flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Press half of crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- In small bowl, mix together condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Spread onto the bottom layer of the crumb mixture.
- Top with the other half of the crumb mixture, pressing lightly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 30 minutes after baking.
- Cut into squares and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until cool.