Creamy Bacon and Pea Salad is a retro but timeless side dish that will be a hit at any summer picnic or BBQ!
I’m almost certain that some version of a pea salad was present at every BBQ that I attended growing up. Because of this, this Creamy Bacon and Pea Salad feels retro to me, kind of like a strawberry jello pretzel “salad” or a big bowl of macaroni salad.
Regardless of how classic this Creamy Bacon and Pea Salad recipe is, it continues to be 100% delicious. Of course, I couldn’t help but give it a little bit of an update.
How to Make Creamy Bacon and Pea Salad
The typical bacon and pea salad is made with a LOT of mayonnaise. Like, a lot. The thought of that kind of makes my stomach turn, so I had to do something about it. I replaced most of it with plain Greek yogurt.
I use whole milk Greek yogurt, because it keeps the dressing rich, but still cuts down on fat and calories without sacrificing any taste. Along with a couple spoonfuls of mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sugar, this dressing is still amazing.
Just as it was thirty years ago, this Creamy Bacon and Pea Salad should be at every BBQ this summer. It’s easy to make, can be made ahead of time, and is a crowd pleaser. It was a hit with my family, even my toddlers, and will be a hit with your family and friends, as well!
Looking for other summer BBQ side dishes? Check these out!
Creamy Bacon and Pea SaladPrint Rate
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 lbs peas thawed
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese cubed
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onions chopped
- Heat a large skillet and cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Once cooled, chop up into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add the peas, red onion, cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the pea mixture and stir well to combine.
- Top with the chopped green onions.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve and enjoy!