Cranberry Apple Sangria is made with red wine, apple cider, cranberry syrup, and bourbon! This cranberry sangria is just the kick your holidays need!
It’s officially the holiday season! I always feel like Thanksgiving sneaks up on me but once it’s come and gone, I’m ready to get in the holiday mode. Today we are putting up our first Christmas tree as a family of three. You better believe we’ll be blasting some Mariah Carey Christmas songs, drinking hot cocoa, and getting the house as festive as possible.
Doesn’t it just scream Christmas?!
I’m also planning to make my Tater Tot Hot Dish, which seems like perfectly appropriate comfort food since we’re also supposed to be getting our first big snow storm of the year.
The only thing that could make our day even more perfect is another pitcher of this festive Cranberry Apple Sangria. Doesn’t it just scream Christmas?!
Cranberry Apple Sangria
This cranberry sangria is such a perfect holiday sangria. It’s festive with cranberries and apples along with the rosemary sprig for the holiday colors. And a splash of bourbon that will definitely warm you right up.
Yep, that’s right – I put bourbon in my cranberry apple sangria. Although I wasn’t sure if it would work and even *almost* backed out on the idea at the last minute, but it gave it just the kick that I was looking for.
You might notice in the sangria recipe instructions I have a chopped apple included. Then you might look at my photos and wonder where my chopped apple is. I completely forgot to pick up an apple at the store the day I was planning to make the sangria and making a “quick run” to the store with a baby is just not possible. So use your imagination, and do as I say not as I do and add the apple! I love how apples soak up the liquid and are a fun little snack while enjoying my cocktail.
One of my favorite things about this cranberry apple sangria recipe is that you can make it up to a day in advance. It also ensures the fruit is nice and wine-soaked. Then when you are ready to serve, just top off with a little bit of sparkling water, and garnish it with a sprig of rosemary, and enjoy your holiday cheer!
- For simple syrup:
- 1 1/2 cup cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- For sangria:
- 1 750 ml bottle red wine I used a red blend
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup cranberry syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon optional, but delicious*
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 apple diced
- sparkling water like La Croix
- fresh rosemary sprigs or cinnamon sticks for garnish
- *can also use Triple Sec or any orange flavor liqueur if you do not like bourbon
- To make cranberry simple syrup:
- Combine cranberries, sugar, and water in small pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until cranberries are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl and let syrup cool.
- To make sangria:
- Combine red wine, apple cider, cranberry syrup, bourbon, cranberries, and apple.
- You can serve immediately or stop in refrigerator for up to overnight.
- To serve, pour over ice, filling about 3/4 full and then top with sparkling water
- Garnish with rosemary sprig or cinnamon stick
Ready for the holidays but need more than just this Cranberry Apple Sangria? I’ve got some more holiday recipes waiting for you (and don’t forget to check out my ideas on Pinterest):