adapted from Michael Ruhlman
- 2 apples diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts almonds, or pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In blender, combine apples, brown sugar, honey, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. If your blender has trouble getting things mixed, add a little bit a of water, and blend until completely pureed.
- In large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, flax seed, and nuts.
- Pour apple puree over dry mixture and distribute it as evenly as possible.
- Put oats onto baking sheet and bake for 70-80 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Granola will be done when it is no longer soggy and no steam rises while you're stirring.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.