A lightly sweetened apple muffin with an irresistible crumb topping. This weekend we took advantage of the perfect weather and headed out to the apple orchard. Apple picking is one of my favorite things to do each fall but what’s even better is creating lots of delicious things in the kitchen with all of the fresh picked apples. While I fully intend to make apple crisp, apple pie, and apple cake, I decided to start off my apple baking adventures with something a little breakfast-y…muffins!
I’ve been on somewhat of a muffin kick the past few days, ever since I made Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins from Sally’s Baking Addiction on Sunday night. They turned out absolutely perfect: moist, chocolatey, and big rounded tops. Sally’s trick to ensuring that the tops of the muffins get nice and rounded is baking them at a high temperature for a short period of time (425 degrees F for 5 minutes), and then lowering the temperature to finish the baking (375 for ~15 minutes). It worked like a charm when I made the chocolate chip muffins and it worked perfectly with these muffins too.
These apple muffins are perfectly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, studded with diced tart apples, and then topped with a buttery oat crumble for a delicious crunchy top. They aren’t half bad for you either! Instead of using a ton of oil and sugar, I cut the sugar from the original recipe, used Greek yogurt, applesauce, and just 2 tablespoons of oil. I was out of wheat flour but you could also try subbing half of the all-purpose flour with wheat flour.
As usual, my favorite part of these muffins was the crumb topping. The muffin itself isn’t overly sweet, so the sweet crunchy topping complements it well. These are perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee, packed in your lunch for an afternoon snack, or even a healthy(ish) not-too-sweet dessert.
Like this recipe? Then you’ll love these too!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups diced apples about 2 medium apples
for crumb topping:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, applesauce, oil, yogurt, and granulated sugar.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and fold in with spatula until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Fold in apples.
- Fill muffin tins all the way full and sprinkle top with crumb topping.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 5 minutes, then immediately turn down oven to 375 and bake an additional 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in muffin pan for 10 minutes, then transfer muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely.