A few weekends ago, my Sunday morning was quite different from my Sunday morning a year ago. You see, a year ago I was running the Twin Cities Marathon. This year, however, I was still in my PJ’s, icing the apple bundt cake I had made the night before, and having myself a big ‘ol slice for breakfast. My priorities have obviously changed.
While I haven’t stopped running completely, the days of running six times a week and getting up early on the weekends for my long runs are over, and instead I’m taking the time to enjoy my weekend mornings with multiple cups of coffee and some quality time in the kitchen instead. There’s no better time of the year to get serious about baking than when the temps start dropping and leaves begin changing, amiright?!
I have already done my share of baking with pumpkin, but after a trip to the apple orchard a couple of weekends ago, I knew it was time to give apple it’s fair share of the limelight. Enter: Cinnamon Apple Bundt Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting.
The apple cake is dense enough to hold up to the bundt pan, but tender and moist just as a bundt cake should be. I used white-whole wheat flour, which I feel added a bit of heartiness to the cake, and along with the spices and chunks of diced apple, biting into it was a little piece of heaven.
Of course you can’t forget the maple cream cheese frosting. It is made with my favorite lactose and dairy-free GO Veggie! cream cheese, (which, p.s. has more calcium and fewer calories and fat than regular dairy cream cheese and NO cholesterol!) making the entire cake dairy and lactose free. Winning. I also loved the maple flavor from the maple syrup with the apple spiced cake.
I brought the cake to the marathon cheering party we went to because obviously eating apple bundt cake with cream cheese frosting with your friends while cheering on the people running the marathon is far superior to eating that apple bundt cake with cream cheese frosting by yourself while thinking about how you could be running a marathon. Either way, this bundt cake is delicious and would be great for breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
For the cake:
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour all-purpose would work fine too
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple butter or applesauce if you don't have apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 oz tub GO Veggie! plain cream cheese or your favorite cream cheese
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp milk soy, almond, or cows milk all work, depending on how thick you want the frosting
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Liberally grease bundt pan with cooking spray or butter, then sprinkle with flour, covering all surfaces. Set aside.
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat together the sugar, brown sugar, and oil until well combined.
- Add apple butter, eggs, and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture, beating until just combined.
- Fold in apples.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until tester comes out clean and top is golden.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove from bundt pan and let cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Combine cream cheese, vanilla, 2 tablespoons milk, and maple syrup in a small bowl and beat with electric mixer.
- Add more milk if you want the frosting thinner (i.e. it will spread/drip easier)
- Once cake is completely cool, drizzle over cake, spreading until it drops down the sides.
- Top with chopped pecans.
- Slice and enjoy!