Chorizo Potato Breakfast Burritos are hearty breakfast burritos made with pork chorizo, onion, bell pepper, and potatoes – they are the perfect start to your day!
Breakfast burritos always remind me of a warm summer morning at the farmers market. Along with stopping by the donut stand, grabbing a warm breakfast burrito from a local food truck seems to complete our farmers market trip. Of course we pick up fresh produce but I’d be lying if I said a good breakfast wasn’t part of the fun of the market.
During the colder months when we don’t frequent the farmers market, I have to take things into my own hands and make my own breakfast burritos. I’ve been making these Chorizo Potato Breakfast Burritos on repeat lately and they definitely hit the spot!
Ingredients in Chorizo Potato Breakfast Burritos
Red Bell Pepper
Yukon Gold Potatoes
How to Make Chorizo Potato Breakfast Burritos
These chorizo breakfast burritos have a few things going on, but the process of cooking them is very simple. First, you’ll brown the chorizo. I recommend using ground Mexican chorizo in this recipe. Mexican chorizo is typically made from pork and is highly seasoned, opposed to Spanish chorizo which is dried and cured, like a salami. Using chorizo, which has a ton of flavor, means you don’t really need any other seasonings in the rest of the ingredients. The chorizo is definitely the star of these burritos!
Once the chorizo is cooked, the onion, peppers, and potaotes are sauteed in some of the grease from the chorizo and olive oil. You’ll want to dice your potatoes pretty small so they don’t take long to cook. Lastly, the eggs are scrambled. It is best to cook scrambled eggs over lower heat, so they turn out light and fluffy, and not rubbery.
The only thing left to do now is assemble! Wrap the eggs, potatoes, and chorizo up in a warm burrito tortilla along with shredded cheese, and avocado, and then top it all off with salsa and sour cream. You could even top them with some guacamole if you’re feeling a little extra.
Just like the farmers market in the summer, these breakfast burritos are a staple for us on winter Sunday mornings!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Chorizo Potato Breakfast Burritos
- 16 ounces chorizo casings removed
- 2 tbsp oliveoil
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes diced into small pieces, about ½”
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 large burrito tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- sour cream and salsa for serving
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once cooked, transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the olive oil to any remaining chorizo grease.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until vegetables are softened, stirring every couple of minutes, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook one more minute.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs and milk, and whisk to combine.
- Add the butter to a medium non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the eggs and cook, stirring occasionally, until fully cooked and scrambled.
- Next, assemble the breakfast burritos.
- Warm up the tortillas by placing them on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds. Microwave an additional 15 seconds, if necessary. Tortillas are easier to roll if they are warm.
- Lay out each tortilla and fill with scrambled eggs, chorizo, potatoes, cheese, and avocado slices.
- The amount of each component that you add to one burrito is up to you and dependent upon the size of your tortillas. You’ll want to add it all to the closest ⅓ of the tortilla and then roll the tortilla once, fold in the sides, and then roll the burrito the rest of the way.
- Serve topped with sour cream and salsa.