Like I mentioned last week, we are moving in less than two weeks! We’ve started packing up a bunch of our things and I’ve started cleaning out the cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer. It’s hard when cooking is your job and you have to try to not buy too many groceries! I found a few bananas in the freezer and figured I’d use them to make a new banana bread recipe.
When I was trying to figure out what kind of banana bread I was going to make, I asked on Instagram if I should add coconut to it or not. Surprisingly, people were loving the coconut. I mean, it wasn’t a landslide but coconut definitely won versus non-coconut.
I definitely like coconut but it’s not typically something that I crave. Since I happened to have a bag of sweetened shredded coconut in my cupboard, I decided to go with it. Give the people what they want!
In addition to the shredded coconut I also used coconut oil which gave it the slightest hint of coconut flavor as well. If you really wanted to go all out on the coconut, add 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract!
Also, the chocolate chips are optional, I suppose, but why would you NOT want them?! Weirdo 😉 This IS Chocolate Chunk Coconut Banana Bread, after all!
- 4 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5" loaf pan with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl combine mashed bananas, coconut oil, and sugar, and whisk until well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and flour, and mix with a spatula.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and coconut.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick comes out of the middle clean.
- Slice and enjoy!