Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Oat Bars are made with old fashioned oats and whole wheat flour, are sweetened with maple syrup, and have no butter and all the flavor of gingerbread!
I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve been hitting the Christmas cookies pretty hard this year. Between baking up a ton (recipes coming this week!) and getting packages of cookies in the mail from The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, there has been no shortage of cookies laying around and my self control is lacking these days.
Enter these bars
This is why I love having something healthy to grab for at 7 a.m. for breakfast to keep me out of the cookie jar. I mean, there’s a time and place for cookies for breakfast, but every single day probably isn’t it. Enter these bars.
Almost every other weekend this fall I’ve made a pan of my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oat Bars to eat for breakfast and snacks throughout the week. But dare I say I’m almost to the point where I’m a little sick of pumpkin?! I never thought that day would come back in September but I think it’s here. Pumpkin is out. Gingerbread is in. I’m not mad about it.
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Oat Bars
Just like my pumpkin oat bars, these are filled with lots of good for ya things like old fashioned oats, whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, and no refined sugar depending on what kind of chocolate chips you use. Although, I’ve been using Tollhouse Dark Chocolate Chips which I’m sure have refined sugar in them but nobody’s perfect, right?
Regardless, we can fill up on these healthy gems and feel better about those cookies we’ll be eating later, right?
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup milk I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9x11" or 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine oats, flour, flaxseed, baking powder, salt, and spices. Mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, molasses, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk well to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with spatula until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 35-40 minutes for 8x11" dish or 32-35 minutes for 9x13" dish, until middle is set and top is golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
- *Note: I made these in sort of an odd-sized pan, an 8x11" which made them really thick but you can definitely make them in a regular 9x13" pan, they'll just be a little thinner and won't take quite as long to bake.