Sometimes things happen in pregnancy, and they just aren’t things to be proud of. Take this banana bread, for example. I made it last week when third trimester exhaustion hit me HARD and I really failed in the meal planning department. Because of this, I ate the entire loaf of banana bread in three days. I thought this was quite the feat, but Marc wasn’t that impressed when I told him. His response? “I could eat the entire loaf in one day.”
Regardless, I was pretty sure I was going to turn into a piece of this chocolate chip banana bread by the third day because I had eaten so much of it.
Luckily, I made some changes to my standby banana bread recipe to make this one a smidge less indulgent than usual. For one, I used white whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. I love how white whole wheat flour keeps my baked goods light like all-purpose but is whole wheat.
I also swapped the butter out and used coconut oil instead, and added Silk Vanilla Soy Milk to keep the bread tender. Adding the vanilla soy milk not only added another hint of sweetness, but also amped up the protein, since Silk Soy Milk provides 8 grams of plant protein per serving. Not too shabby.
I had to keep things somewhat indulgent, and threw in some chocolate chips because to me banana bread just begs for chocolate chips. Nuts? Not so much. But chocolate? Yes’m.
For breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert, this banana bread fueled me for three solid days. For whatever reason, I preferred it chilled with a big smear of cold butter and as a snack or dessert warmed up in the microwave with melted butter. Let’s just blame that weirdness on pregnancy, too.
So tell me – what are your favorite ways to make banana bread healthier? What are your favorite add-ins?
Chocolate Chip Banana BreadPrint Pin Rate
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil measured in melted state
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk I used Silky Vanilla Soy Milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9x5" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, mix sugar, brown sugar, and coconut oil.
- To the sugar and oil mixture, add the mashed bananas, eggs, milk, and vanilla, stirring until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, until top is golden brown and a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Slice and enjoy!
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.