Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup is a healthy squash soup that is full of chipotle flavor! Topped with cilantro, green onions, and Greek yogurt for a satisfying Mexican squash soup.
It’s no secret that I am a huge fan of squash. I have five different recipes for butternut squash soup. All which are very different but suitable for whatever I might be craving.
Take my Roasted Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup. This is perfect for the transition from summer to fall. It uses up the last of my garden tomatoes, but also giving me a reason to eat squash in August! This soup is also stellar with a grilled cheese sandwich.
My Apple and Butternut Squash Soup is great for when fall is rolling in and I’ve hit up the apple orchard for the first time. This soup isn’t too heavy and is sweeter from the apples.
Then there’s my Butternut Squash and Tortellini Soup. This soup is what I go for when I want a creamy butternut squash soup with a liiiiiittle more substance. The tortellini makes this soup super filling and delicious!
Don’t forget about my Tuscan Bean and Butternut Squash Soup which is hearty, rustic, and perfect with a big chunk of french bread. I like this soup when I’m craving vegetables (and bread).
But when I’m REALLY looking for a kick of flavor in the face, THIS squash soup is what I’ll be making. Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup.
How to Make Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
The key ingredient for this chipotle squash soup is the chipotles in adobo sauce. Whenever I’m looking for a smoky flavor I always always always used chipotles in adobo sauce. Though you do have to be careful – these little guys are spicy!
Another key ingredient to this Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup? Cream cheese! This makes it even creamier than butternut squash soup already is. I used my go-to GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese. It not only tastes the same and gives the soup extra creaminess as dairy cream cheese, but it’s lower in fat, saturated fat, and calories than dairy cream cheese and has no cholesterol.
I garnished the mexican squash soup with cilantro and green onions which were great complements to the spicy soup and helped balance it out. I also served it with bread one night for dinner, but then ate it with tortilla chips the next day for lunch. Pro tip: the tortilla chip combo kind of rocked my world.
So whether you’re still looking for a Thanksgiving first course (if you’re fancy like that and serve your Thanksgiving meal in courses) or a post-Thanksgiving meal that’s healthy and filling – this Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup is your match!
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 chipotles in adobo sauce depending on how spicy you want it - they are pretty spicy!
- 8 oz GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese
- Cilantro and green onions for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the halves with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place on baking sheet, flesh side up, and roast for 40-50 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Once cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh from the skin.
- In large soup pot, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute, then season with salt.
- Add broth to mixture along with spices, vegetable broth, apple cider vinegar, and chipotles in adobo sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the broth and place in blender and add cream cheese. Puree until smooth.
- Add remaining soup (broth and veggies) to the blender and puree until no chunks remain and soup is smooth.
- *You could also do this with an immersion blender - just place cup of broth and cream cheese in a small bowl, puree it with immersion blender, and then add back to soup pot and use immersion blender to puree the rest of the soup. This step is so the cream cheese does not curdle in the hot broth.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onions.