Right around this time every year I start rambling on and on about my love for basil and all of the ways I love thee. In particular, I love freshly made pesto. Put it on pasta, on my grilled cheese, or even a dollop on my eggs, and I’m in heaven.
I’m not about to turn my back on pesto but I’ve been having a hot minute with chimichurri lately. This love affair began when I had it on a pizza (!!!!), dipped my yucca fries in it, and continues with these super delicious burgers.
But first! What the heck is chimichurri?! It is not a deep fried burrito (chimichanga) or a Spanish fried dough pastry (churro). Not even close.
It’s actually an Argentinian green sauce usually made with parsley, garlic, oregano, oil, and white vinegar and is typically served on top of meat. I’ve seen lots of variations of these ingredients to make up chimichurri and lately I’ve been seeing it put on all the things.
These Chimichurri Turkey Burgers are our new favorite way to use chimichurri. Marc couldn’t stop raving about how much he loved these burgers and Lars gobbled them up too!
I actually put the chimichurri in the burger as well as on top for that maximum chimi flavah. I also used turkey instead of ground beef (Jennie-O turkey for the win!) for a healthier but still super juicy burger.
I served these burgers with my favorite oven roasted fries (which I may or may not have dipped in the chimichurri) and a cold beer and man, I can’t even say how happy it makes me that summer is here! And while I’ll get around to enjoying all of the fresh pesto my herb garden can sustain, I’m going to keep on having this moment with chimichurri.
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the burgers:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chimichurri
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pepper jack cheese slices
- 4 buns
To make the chimichurri:
- Combine all chimichurri ingredients in a food processor and pulse until blended.
To make the burgers:
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat.
- Combine turkey, chimichurri, onion, and coming and mix with a spatula or your hands until ingredients are thoroughly combined, but don't overmix!
- Form into 4 patties that are approximately 1/2" thick.
- Place on a greased grill (I spray mine with cooking spray) and cook 7-8 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Top with pepper jack cheese for the final 3 minutes.
- Place on a bun and then top with additional chimichurri sauce.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Jennie-O Turkey but all opinions are my own!