Jazz up Taco Tuesday with Chimichurri Chicken Tacos! Boneless skinless chicken breast slices are marinated in a flavorful homemade chimichurri sauce, and cooked to perfection on the stovetop. Finish it all off with a simple lime yogurt crema sauce!
I’m all for a traditional beef taco in a hardshell, but I also love having a little fun with the menu on Taco Tuesdays! From my Salmon Tacos with Sriracha Yogurt Sauce and Roasted Cauliflower Sweet Potato Tacos to my Smoked Pork Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce, there are so many ways to add flavor into taco night! These Chimichurri Chicken Tacos are absolutely no exception. The amount of flavor in the chimichurri chicken is INSANE and we loved it so much, we made them twice in one week!
Ingredients in Chimichurri Chicken Tacos
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – I love using chicken breasts for tacos, but chicken thighs would work well, too! Additionally, shrimp would be delicious in these tacos, as well.
Red Wine Vinegar
Red Pepper Flakes
How to Make Chimichurri Chicken Tacos
This recipe starts by making the chimichurri. Simply place the fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, onion, red wine vinegar, lime juice, garlic, red pepper flakes and sea salt into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Next, add the olive oil and pulse again until combined but not pureed.
Combine the sliced chicken breast with 1/2 cup of the chimichurri and let marinate. Once ready to cook, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the marinated chicken and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes.
To make the lime yogurt crema, combine the yogurt, lime juice, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.
To serve, add the chicken to tortillas (we like the street taco size!) and top with the lime yogurt crema and shredded pepper jack cheese! Since we loved the chimichurri so much, we added even more to the tacos as well. SO so good!!
Chimichurri Chicken Tacos
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Lime Yogurt Crema
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- shredded Pepper Jack Cheese for serving
For the Chimichurri Chicken
- In a food processor, add the cilantro, parsley, onion, red wine vinegar, garlic, lime juice, sea salt, and red pepper flakes
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the olive oil and pulse another 5-7 times, until combined but not pureed.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the chimichurri with the chicken slices and marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 8 hours.
Lime Yogurt Crema
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt, lime juice, milk, garlic powder, and sea salt.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Cook the Chicken:
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken in taco sized tortillas topped with the lime yogurt crema, shredded pepper jack cheese, and additional chimichurri.