Chicken Pot Pie Soup is all of the great things about chicken pot pie, in soup form! Topped with homemade biscuits and this soup is pure comfort food.
As you might know, we are doing a full-blown kitchen gut and renovation this fall. While I am beyond excited for the end result, I’m really dreading the 3+ months of not having my kitchen. First world problems, I know. But while everyone else is baking all of the pumpkin things and braising meats to their hearts desire, I’m going to be stuck cooking with my hot plate, slow cooker, and Instant Pot all fall long. It could be worse, I know.
To get my fall food fix and stock up on some freezer meals, I did a bunch of soup making and pumpkin baking in August. It felt wrong to be bubbling a pot of soup when it was 80 degrees out, but when I was making things like Chicken Pot Pie Soup, I didn’t even care.
There’s really no wrong time to make this chicken pot pie soup! It’s basically comfort food in a bowl. One of the best parts about it? Since it’s a soup it doesn’t have to be baked like traditional chicken pot pie, which means that I can still make it during our kitchen renovation.
Ingredients in Chicken Pot Pie Soup
The soup is made with basic ingredients like onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, chicken, broth, and cream. If you want to make it even easier, you can definitely use rotisserie chicken. While homemade biscuits are totally worth the time and effort, canned biscuits would be a great option if you’re short on time, or store-bought if you don’t have an oven. I grew up on those canned biscuits and they definitely hold a spot in my heart.
This soup is perfect for a cozy autumn afternoon, game day, to bring a friend who just had a baby, or to share with neighbors! I can tell you – this Chicken Pot Pie Soup is something we will be making all soup season long. It’s so comforting and crazy easy to make…even without a fully functioning kitchen!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Roasted Mushroom Pot Pie from The Cookie Writer
Cottage Chicken Pie from The Healthy Foodie
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold, diced
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
For the Biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Add the cold butter and incorporate with a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the buttermilk with a wooden spatula.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll out with a rolling pin.
- Cut into 9-10 biscuits. I used a pizza cutter to cut them into squares but you can use a round biscuit cutter, too.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the melted butter.
- Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, until golden brown.
To Make the Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot.
- Add the butter to the remaining olive oil and melt.
- Add the diced onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms, and stir to combine.
- Cook for 10 minutes, until the vegetables have softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine, cooking 1 more minute.
- Add the flour, stirring to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly to incorporate with the vegetable mixture.
- Add the chicken and peas to the pot, bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream or milk.
- Serve with the biscuits and enjoy!