A homemade recipe for Chicken and Dumplings Soup with easy drop biscuits is pure comfort food!
It doesn’t get much more cozy than Chicken and Dumplings Soup, does it? Sure, there’s chicken noodle soup or chicken and rice soup but there’s something about a creamy chicken soup with fluffy dumplings in it that just can’t be beat. Give me a snowstorm, a sherpa sweater, and a bowl of chicken and dumpling soup and I’d be a happy girl!
Easy Comfort Food
Not only is it total comfort food and delicious, but it’s crazy easy. The ingredients are simple and the entire thing is made from scratch – even the dumplings. If the idea of baking your own dumplings is intimidating, I promise you – they are so easy! The most time consuming part of it was having to text my neighbor to borrow baking powder because somehow, I ran out.
Ingredients in Chicken and Dumplings Soup
The dumplings are made of flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and heavy cream. You simply mix all of it together and then drop dough balls into the simmering soup. They turn out light and fluffy, and absolutely irresistible! They were, no surprisingly, my kids favorite part.
The soup part of this recipe is made with simple and wholesome ingredients including onion, carrots, celery, thyme, garlic, peas, carrots, chicken broth, and chicken. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts this time around, but you could easily use chicken thighs, shredded rotisserie chicken, or turkey!
The ease of this recipe along with the fact that my entire family requested seconds means I’ll be making this soup all winter long, and I’m not mad about it.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Chicken and Dumplings Soup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks ends cut off and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- fresh parsley, chopped for serving
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Add 2 tbsp butter to large Dutch oven/soup pot.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until golden on each side and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of butter and onion, carrots, and celery.
- Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine.
- Add flour and stir well to combine with the vegetables, and cook for one more minute.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking continuously.
- Add the chicken back to the pot, along with the peas and corn.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the heavy cream, until it comes together in a sticky dough.
- Using an ice cream scoop, form the dough into small dough balls, about 2 tbsp worth.
- Spread the dough balls out on the top of the soup.
- Cover the soup pot with a lid and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley.