Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are full of old fashioned oats, dark chocolate chips, and semisweet chocolate chips. They’re perfect with a glass of milk!
I realized a few months ago that I don’t have a ton of cookie recipes on my blog. And the majority of them that are on here, are from quite awhile ago. That doesn’t mean I don’t make cookies – I just make a lot of the same recipes over and over! I also realized I’ve never shared my favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe with you! So here we are.
I am pretty much always on team “Chewy” when it comes to cookies. I mean, I’ll never pass up a crunchy cookie but I love a good chewy cookie. These chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are no exception.
Ingredients in Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Old Fashioned Oats – this lends a chewier texture to the cookies than quick oats, although you can use quick oats if that’s all you have.
Chocolate Chips – I use a combination of semisweet and dark chocolate chips.
Tips for Oatmeal Cookie Success
Chill Your Dough – It’s definitely worth the extra 30 minutes to chill the cookie dough after making it and prior to baking. It keeps the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies a bit thicker and they won’t spread as much.
Use a Combination of Semi-sweet and Dark Chocolate Chips – I love dark chocolate but also wanted some chocolate chips that were a little sweeter and I loved the combination of the two
Bake Until Slightly Golden – watch the cookies carefully at the end and only bake until they start to turn golden on the edges – they will set up more once they cool!
Like this recipe? Check these out too!
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips I used a combination of semi-sweet and dark
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, beating until combined.
- Add the oats, beating until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 1" balls and place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until edges are slightly golden.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.