Cheesy Chicken Taco soup is a comforting and filling soup with ground chicken, corn black beans, and plenty of cheese! Best served with tortilla chips!
Again, with the soup?! I know… I cannot stop! It was even in the high 80’s last week and I was STILL making soup recipes. I guess I’m just a gal on a soup making mission.
Next up: Cheesy Chicken Taco Soup!
Oh man. I’ve had this recipe idea in my head for MONTHS. I’m not sure where it came from but the thought of a cheesy taco soup seemed like the best idea ever and I couldn’t wait to put my dream to action.
I’m just going to put this out there and say this is absolutely, 100% our new favorite soup. We DEVOURED IT!! A lot of times we have a hard time finishing leftover soup because soup recipes typically make very large batches and between the two and a half of us, we just lose steam and interest after a couple of day. That was definitely not the case with this soup. It was gone in two days.
We paired it with diced avocado and crushed up tortilla chips which made it even more taco-like, but you could definitely top yours with any of your favorite taco toppings! Anything like sour cream, more shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, cilantro, and even black olives and shredded lettuce.
A few things about this recipe. First, I made this soup extra cheesy by making a cheese sauce from scratch and stirring it in the soup. While this is insanely delicious and pretty easy to do, if you’re in a time crunch, just use a can of condensed cheese soup. Or even a jar of queso! It will do the trick and the semi-homemade soup will still be way more delicious and healthy than any takeout or fast food!
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Taco Soup
Other than that, this recipe is a breeze! And I seriously could not believe how delicious it turned out being so simple. You just cook the chicken and onion, add some Rotel, black beans corn, and taco seasoning, and then make your cheese sauce. Mix it all together and there you go – soup is on!
I also couldn’t believe how much Marc loved this soup. While he enjoys pretty much everything I make, he was super excited about this soup. He even told his vegetarian sister that she *had* to make it and could make it with tofu instead of chicken. Umm…not quite, but his enthusiasm was sweet. p.s. to any other vegetarians out there – just add another can or two of beans to the soup! You could do all black beans or mix it up with pinto or Northern beans. It’s flexible!
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 packet taco seasoning I used reduced sodium
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles (like Rotel)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
For the cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings to your preference:
- additional cheddar cheese
- green onions
- diced tomatoes
- sour cream
To make the soup:
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil and cook the ground chicken over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add onion and cook another 3-4 minutes, until onion starts to soften.
- Add taco seasoning, tomatoes, black beans, and corn, and stir until well combined.
- Lower heat and make cheese sauce.
To make the cheese sauce:
- In a separate medium pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until combined with butter and let cook for about 1 minute, stirring pretty consistently.
- SLOWLY add the milk, whisking the entire time, until well combined.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until it thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Add cheese sauce to soup pot and stir well to combine.
- Add chicken broth and stir well to combine.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with your preferred toppings and enjoy!