Cheesy Chicken Taco Meatloaf Muffins are a healthy and easy main dish to prep for your family!
Hello 2019! I’m back from my yearly blogging break that I take between Christmas and New Years! After a whirlwind of an October/November/December between promoting my book, producing new content for the busiest time of the year, and trying to keep up with the everyday life, I was more than ready for a break.
The term “break” is all relative, of course. I still wanted to remain fairly active on social media and had to respond to reader emails and messages. But when it came to planning for what’s next – I didn’t do a thing.
So on New Year’s Day when we were driving home from the cabin, I made a huge mental list of all of the new recipes I want to test and develop for you guys. It also helped that a bunch of my Instagram followers sent me messages after I asked what they wanted to see on g&c this year! I heard a lot of easy dinners, meal prep recipes, Instant Pot recipes, on-the-go meals, and family friendly meals.
So! I’m starting off the new year with a recipe that hits a few of those bases – Cheesy Chicken Taco Meatloaf Muffins! They are healthy, easy, portable and toddler friendly!
These Cheesy Chicken Taco Meatloaf Muffins are filled with lots of healthy ingredients like lean ground chicken, quinoa and veggies. There’s a healthy dose of cheese, too, for good measure!
I couldn’t believe how much Lars and Soren both loved these meatloaf muffins. Lars is a tricky eater and these days, it’s a chore to get him to eat. I was thrilled when he sat quietly, ate, and declared “this is DELICIOUS!” Mom win!
I served these with a side of spiraled sweet potato noodles and roasted broccoli which perfectly rounded out the meal. These Cheesy Chicken Taco Meatloaf Muffins are also great to re-heat and would be great to prep ahead for lunches.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or the image below to pin this Cheesy Chicken Taco Meatloaf Muffins recipe for later!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and salt, and cook another minute.
- Remove from heat and add to a bowl with the cilantro, salsa, ground chicken, quinoa, egg, and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Mix well to combine.
- Fill muffin pan with mixture, filling each one full. Top each meatloaf muffin with another tablespoon of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes then remove from muffin pan.
- Serve topped with additional chopped cilantro and enjoy!