Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are like French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Mind. Blown!Do you guys have any good go-to dinners? I need some go-to dinner ideas. Oh I know, French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
Right now I’ve been rotating through a cycle of veggie hash topped with fried eggs (so good but I need a break), a big batch of some sort of chili and eating it all week long, and baked sweet potatoes stuffed with anything in my fridge that would remotely go well with sweet potatoes. Oh and when I get really desperate – cheese quesadillas. Because when all else fails, I always have corn tortillas and cheese. Always.
Since we always have bread, grilled cheese sandwiches are another go-to dinner for us. I mean, how easy is it to slap together a couple pieces of bread with cheese in the middle, slather it with butter, and fry it up? Pret-ty pret-ty easy.
Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Which is why, naturally, I have to fancy it up. Yep – we’re getting fancy over here. Don’t worry – this is a very simple fancy-fication (just made that word up) by just adding one thing to our grilled cheese: caramelized onions.
Now, let’s talk logistics here. You get home from work and you want to eat dinner 30 minutes ago.
You’re on the verge, no you ARE hangry.
Make Ahead Caramelized Onions
No one, especially you, has the time or patience to caramelized onions on a weeknight. Which is why you can do it AHEAD OF TIME! Genius.
Make those caramelized onions on Sunday afternoon when you’re catching up on episodes of Housewives of Wherever and you will have them all week for your fancy grilled cheese.
Better yet, double the onion portion of this recipe and then you’ll have dinner set pretty much all week long. This might seem like overkill but believe me – you are going to want these multiple nights in a row.
French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
These Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are pretty much french onion soup grilled cheese sandwiches. Mind. Blown.
So let’s kick our sad and overused meal rotation to the curb and fancy things up a bit with these fancy caramelized onion grilled cheese sandwiches!
For more French Onion Soup-ish Recipes:
French Onion Soup from greens & chocolate.
Crock Pot French Onion Pork Tenderloin from greens & chocolate.
French Onion Pasta from Spicy Southern Kitchen.
French Onion Chicken from The Missing Lokness.
Cheesy French Onion Dip from Chattavore.
Brown Ale French Onion Soup from Cooking & Beer.
Caramelized Onion Gruyere Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter plus more for buttering the bread
- 3 medium yellow onions sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup beer beef stock or white wine will also work
- 8 slices French bread
- 1 1/3 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add sliced onions and stir well to combine with butter.
- Season with salt and sugar.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until dark brown and caramelized, about one hour.
- Once caramelized, add thyme and stir to combine.
- Add beer/broth/wine to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spatula to scrape up any bits.
- Let beer/broth/wine cook off for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Butter each slice of bread on one side.
- In a skillet over medium heat, place 4 slices of the bread, buttered side down.
- Top each slice with approximately 1/3 cup of cheese, then 1/4 of the onion mixture, and then top with remaining slices of bread.
- Cover and cook about 4-5 minutes, until bottom slice of bread is golden brown.
- Flip and repeat on second side.
- Serve and enjoy!