Caramel Apple Crisp is like regular apple crisp but WAY better because there is caramel sauce mixed in with the apples. It’s a must-make this fall!
We’ve all had apple crisp before but have you had caramel apple crisp with caramel mixed in? My guess is no, and you wouldn’t believe the difference it makes!
In a more traditional apple crisp recipe, fresh apples are tossed with a combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar, along with spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Then it’s topped with the crisp topping and baked. Delicious, of course, but let’s take it up a notch, shall we?
Ingredients in Caramel Apple Crisp
How to Make Caramel Apple Crisp
To start off, the apples are sauted in some butter with brown sugar. This not only makes sure the apples get nice and soft, but also adds a buttery taste to the filling. Of course I still added some of the traditional apple crisp spice including cinnamon and nutmeg. To finish off the filling, I tossed it all in a generous amount of caramel sauce. It seriously makes this apple crisp divine!
The crisp topping is a pretty traditional combination of flour, old fashioned oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. I’m a huge fan of crisp topping and I did not skimp on it here!
Obviously this apple crisp needed to be served with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of more caramel sauce. Is there really any other way to eat apple crisp than with ice cream? I don’t think so.
While you can technically enjoy this apple crisp with caramel year round, it was the perfect dessert to enjoy on a chilly fall evening.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Caramel Apple Crisp
For the Crisp Filling:
- 6 Granny Smith apples (or your preference of variety) peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook until apples are slightly softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the caramel sauce and salt, and stir until well combined. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter. Stir well to combine.
- Sprinkle over apple filling in the cast iron skillet. Note: you can bake the crisp directly in the cast iron skillet or transfer it to a 9x9" baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with additional caramel sauce. Enjoy!