Cabbage Roll Soup is an easy way to enjoy the flavors of cabbage rolls in one easy and healthy soup.
I’m not exactly sure what enticed me into making Cabbage Roll Soup, but it sounds so comforting and filling that I just had to. I’ve had cabbage rolls a couple of times in my life and liked them and what could be better than all of the flavors of a cabbage roll but without all of the work of making them?
I can’t really vouch for them being a pain to make but I can imagine they are a little time consuming. This soup? Not so much. It’s very hands off and the only time consuming thing is just letting it simmer to cook the cabbage and develop all of its amazing flavor.
Ingredients in Cabbage Roll Soup
This cabbage soup starts out with a combination of ground beef, onion, garlic, carrots, and cabbage. After that gets cooked and softened, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, paprika, thyme, rice, and beef broth are added. I have to warn you – you will need a LARGE soup pot for this one! As you can see, my Dutch oven was almost overflowing.
Cabbage Roll Soup Substitutions
I used white rice in this recipe which allowed for a lower cooking time than if you choose to use brown rice. You definitely can use brown rice but just know you’ll have to simmer it for closer to 40-45 minutes so it is cooked fully.
I used ground beef in this recipe, which I think lends a great amount of flavor to the soup. You can certainly use ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground pork as well with good results.
If you want to save yourself some chopping, a package of chopped cabbage/coleslaw can be used. Same goes with pre-chopped onions and carrots – if it helps to save you time then go for it!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Cabbage Soup from Cooking Classy
Cabbage Roll Soup
- Soup Pot
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup rice
- 4-6 cups beef broth
- fresh parsley, chopped, for topping
- Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Add the beef and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and cook another 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add the cabbage, stirring to combine, and cooking another few minutes to slightly soften.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, thyme, paprika, salt, rice, and 4 cups of beef broth, and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the cabbage is softened.
- Add additional broth as preferred, to reach desired consistency.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and enjoy!