Butternut Squash Lentil Coconut Curry Soup is hearty, healthy, and packed with flavor!
Ohhh soup season. How I do love you. It’s this time of year when I get into the habit of making a big batch of soup, chili, or stew at the beginning of the week to be eaten as lunch or a quick dinner throughout the week. It just makes healthy eating a no brainer!
In my self proclaimed soup season, this lasts all the way into spring. Then, during summer, soup just doesn’t seem to fit so I turn that into some sort of grain salad.
But soup season is here and I couldn’t be happier! While I was on a wild rice soup kick, I’ve switched gears to this hearty, filling, and super flavorful Butternut Squash Lentil Coconut Curry Soup.
Just look at all of that goodness in that bowl! This lentil soup is rich, creamy, and filling but doesn’t feel heavy. Because the soup is so hearty with the squash, lentils, and the kale, and the creamy coconut milk lends to its richness. Then the curry flavor comes on in and lightens things up.
While there are the typical curry spices in this soup – curry, ginger, and turmeric – I also added a pinch of cinnamon as well, which gives the soup a hint of sweetness.
I ate this on its own, but I think it would also be lovely on top of some fluffy rice. I topped mine with whole milk plain yogurt which was delicious – I love the combination of curry and yogurt. If you’re not a big fan of kale, you could sub in some chopped spinach or even peas for some green and nutrition.
As with most soups, this one gets even better the next day, which makes it perfect for leftovers!
Looking for more recipes like this? Check these out!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, deseeded and diced into small bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups chopped kale
- plain yogurt cilantro, for topping
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add red bell pepper and onion and cook until slightly softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and garlic, and cook another minute.
- Season with curry powder, cumin, salt, turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon and stir well to combine.
- Add vegetable broth and green lentils.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Add coconut milk and kale, and cook another 5 minutes, until soup is warmed through again and kale is bright green.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with plain yogurt and cilantro, if you like.