Butternut squash and bacon macaroni and cheese is every squash and bacon lovers dream come true!
Being a food blogger, I rarely re-make most of the recipes that I blog about. Which is sad because 100% of the things I post on here are delicious, but I’m usually trying new recipe ideas. Since a lot of my old recipes have some less-than-stellar photographs, I’ve decided to kill one bird with two stones: remake old recipes to 1) enjoy them and 2) photograph them!
First up: this Butternut Squash and Bacon Macaroni and Cheese that I first made back when I was living in Seattle during P.T. school. It turned out just as cheesy and delicious as I remember it being almost 4(!!) years ago. This is obviously especially fitting as we are knee deep in squash season. So whether you have a butternut squash taking up some counter space or have a craving for the squash, you will love this recipe! Check it out here.
Looking for more butternut squash recipes? Check these out:
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, diced, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 10 oz rotini pasta could also use penne or macaroni
- 3 shallots diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk I used skim
- 2 cups Italian blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until tender.
- While squash is baking, fry up the bacon and cook the pasta.
- When bacon and pasta are cooked, combine them in a large bowl.
- Get rid of all but 1 tbsp of bacon grease, then over medium-high heat, add shallots in large skillet.
- Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring well to combine.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, and let simmer for 1 minute to let thick slightly.
- Season with 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, stirring to combine.
- Add butternut squash to bowl with pasta and bacon, then pour cheese sauce over and toss to combine.
- Pour pasta into 9x13" baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!